• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Our waste hauler specifically says not to put cooking oil in the compost bin.  I save it in the bottles it comes in and put it in the regular trash, where is likely goes to a landfill, as @KennethT said. 

There are oil and grease recyclers that accept used cooking oil.  Last time I checked, there wasn't one handy to me but should check again. 

Edited to add that there are plenty of places that accept used motor oil. I suppose because any place that sells it is required to accept it for recycling.  Too bad the grocery stores don't have the same mandate to collect used cooking oil. 

Our waste hauler specifically says not to put cooking oil in the compost bin.  I save it in the bottles it comes in and put it in the regular trash, where is likely goes to a landfill, as @KennethT said. 

There are oil and grease recyclers that accept used cooking oil.  Last time I checked, there wasn't one handy to me but should check again.