• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Preparing for a new project

Hi Mr. Ruhlman,

Thank you so much for being here. About a year ago, I sent a letter to Gourmet commenting on an article you wrote, and you were nice enough to email me. I asked you for some advice about becoming a food writer, and you gave me the best advice I have received: "Become an expert in something you love."

Your work is so varied. How do you prepare for a new project? Do you quickly become an "expert" before entering a chef's kitchen, or do you do most of your learning while you're there?

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

I don't prepare, I just jump in. I spend a lot of time in a single place, preferably a place of excellence. And I listen to what people have to say. And I hang out some more. And if possible, try to do the work myself, try to understand the ethos of the place and try to fit in, learn the language. Learn the language.