• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Faking it: Wine Sommelier

Jason Perlow

Did anyone see the recent episode of "Faking It" (the US version) with the beer drinker that they tried to pass off as a sommelier?

Oh my god that was uncomfortable to watch.

Did anyone cringe when the master sommelier from the Ritz Carlton, Stephane Lacroix, asked Bill what he would match with ASAPARAGUS and sweetbreads? Yikes.

I felt REALLY sorry for Fleur De Lys sommelier Mickey Clevenger. The guy they sent him had TOTALLY the wrong attitude, I would have decked the guy for sure.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I saw this episode a couple of months ago and I heard they were re-running it. I was studying for the MS Advanced exam at the time and it was painful to watch, but even with his attitude, I think the Faker acquitted himself well, as evidenced by the results of his "final exam." I wish my own exam was that easy.

I saw this episode a couple of months ago and I heard they were re-running it.  I was studying for the MS Advanced exam at the time and it was painful to watch, but even with his attitude, I think the Faker acquitted himself well, as evidenced by the results of his "final exam."  I wish my own exam was that easy.

Did you pass ?

Did anyone cringe when the master sommelier from the Ritz Carlton, Stephane Lacroix, asked Bill what he would match with ASAPARAGUS and sweetbreads? Yikes.

So, what did he recommend?

Gruner Veltliner, I hope.

So, what did he recommend?

Gruner Veltliner, I hope.

I was thinking alsatian myself... maybe chenin blanc

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I was thinking alsatian myself... maybe chenin blanc

Surely, you don't mean Alsatian Chenin Blanc?? :biggrin:

BTW, passed the blind tasting and the service exam, did not pass the written test. Will have to retake the whole thing in April. EXCELLENT learning experience, though, and I will be better prepared the next time. Damn that's one arcane test.