• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Over-extracted

Jesse

I have seen the term "over-extracted" used time and again on this board. I am new to wine and can't seem to figure out precisely what this means. Over-oaked? Got it. Over-extracted? Huh?

Definition from here.

Extraction: This refers to the extraction of phenolic compounds from the grapeskins, in order to provide tannins, colour and body. It may be increased by leaving the wine in contact with the skins for longer, although too long will result in an excessively powerful wine that seems 'over-extracted'.

Oh boy. This will start some arguments I am sure.

Go buy a bottle of Martinelli Pinot Noir. That's a good start.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

I chose very very carefully. It is of my strong belief that those Pinots are too much.

I think that her zinfandels and petite sirahs can handle it, and I am not complaining at all about her chardonnays.

To boot, I've certainly extoled the virtues of the Hayne petite sirah in your presence.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Lets define the term-

Over: a value judgement as in "too much"

Extracted: past participle of extract.

Extract: in this case two definitions apply

1)preparation containing active principle of a substance in concentrated for

2)the sum of the non volatile solids of a wine ( acids minerals phenolics glycerol & glycols)

I believe when the term over extracted is used generally it is to describe a wine that within the growing (for instance in germany when the grape in left on the vine then picked at Auslese level) or vinification process (such as extended maceration on skins or saignee to intensify the must) some or all of these non volatile solids are intensified. Turley's wines (which I like by the way) have the term over extracted often applied to them because the alcohol and fruit concentrations are very very high.

For a lot of people who cling to traditional styles, over-extracted can be like a one trick pony. It is in your face exciting then poof she's gone.

over it

Carema;

Great post. I was just trying to provide an example with the Martinelli. As it is a judgement call, I prefer less extracted, old world style wines to the big fruit bomb new world style generally, but would certainly not turn down a Turley product (actually do not turn down much of anything).

Sometimes I find all the alcohol in the "over extracted" wines to be unpleasant, thowing the balance off for my taste. The beauty of this beverage is you have to find your own way.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC