• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Life after my first year at JWU

KateW

The Westin Hotel seems pretty nice and is really easy to get to from my school via public transportation. Perhaps I could do something there before or after my shift at school, depending on when it is. (Wish I knew already!! Gahhhh) The menu looks pretty yummy. Check it out here. The menus are under "Amenities" and require acrobat reader which is free...but if you don't wanna download it you can still check out the rest of the webpage. However, I think the menu is worth the download!

i just fear being spread so thin that I don't learn much of anything. Jack of all trades, master of none..but I think it would be a cool experience anyway! Maybe not so rushed as a restaurant--people at a restaurant are there only to eat, while people at a hotel are there mostly for the lodging and tend to go out to eat, right? Or am I wrong again? LOL

The one time I had the pleasure of dining at the Westin was when my room mate's family took me with them for brunch once. It was pretty good, but I had just read Kitchen Confidential and kept thinking about the horrors of brunch...lol. I still enjoyed it though.

I'd love to hear your stories, Raynickben. (Sounds like 3 different guys!) I'm willing to try anything once!

• 2 weeks later...

Last night I put in my two week notice at Ruby Tuesday. My situation has kind of changed: Before, I did not have a room at college. I applied for one but was put on the waiting list. I was going to commute back and forth every day and therefore would be free to work in my home area after school, before school, whatever. Ruby Tuesday offered me Tuesday and Saturday night on salad bar which would be fine if I had morning classes. If I couldn't work Tuesday, they said I was still welcome on Saturdays.

A few days later, I got a room assignment in the mail. I decided to go for it, considering the commute is pretty hairy to begin with, and then I run the risk of missing classes come winter time. This means I'll be staying on campus in Providence 24/7 Sunday night or Monday morning through Thursday. Sure, I could still do the Saturdays at Ruby Tuesday but why book up a Saturday night with a salad bar gig when I could be working at a hotel or something?

I had a good time doing salad bar, it wasn't too demanding, but it kept me on my toes. But, I think it's time to move on to different things.

Last night I got an e mail in reference to a resume I put up at monster.com. A Doubletree hotel in Boston wants a line cook. Boston is a bit of a long haul for me, but I told her I would be interested in working for the company in an area closer by. I hope it wasn't the wrong thing to do, asking her to recommend me to her connections. I suppose I should have asked you all first! :biggrin:

Edit: The woman just e mailed me back and said she would keep me in mind for any culinary jobs in Providence she hears of.

Edited by KateW (log)