• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Onigiri

BON

I have a silly question.

The Japanese food store nearby sells onigiri.  I just bought one for the first time (have never tried one before!).

How should I store it until I'm ready to eat it?  Refrigerate, or room temp?

Thanks!

(just getting into Japanese food other than sushi/sashimi)  :smile:

In Japan, onigiri are usually stored at room temperature, and should be consumed by the "consume by" date (shouhi kigen in Japanese). You can keep them in the fridge, but when cold, onigiri are not very appetizing. You may want to reheat them in a microwave a little before you eat them.

In Japan, onigiri are usually stored at room temperature, and should be consumed by the "consume by" date (shouhi kigen in Japanese).  You can keep them in the fridge, but when cold, onigiri are not very appetizing.  You may want to reheat them in a microwave a little before you eat them.

Thanks, Hiroyuki! I stashed it in the fridge to eat tomorrow, and will heat it up a little before I eat it.

It doesn't have an "eat by" date so I was a little nervous.

Edited by crinoidgirl (log)

V

Just wondering.. is it true that disk shaped onigiri are considered more 'old-fashioned' (less trendy?!) than the triangular ones? That's what I was told.. :unsure: although I think they taste just as nice!

One of my favourites would be tuna with mayo and sriracha chilli sauce.. absolutely delicious!

Gaku Homma wrote about this in his Japanese Country Cooking book... his mother always made round ones with old-school fillings like umeboshi; when packing a lunch for a field trip as a child, he was always shocked because everyone else's mother made various interesting shapes (squares or triangles or whatever) and had fillings that his mother would never consider making, and "theirs were completely different."

Just wondering.. is it true that disk shaped onigiri are considered more 'old-fashioned' (less trendy?!) than the triangular ones?  That's what I was told.. :unsure: although I think they taste just as nice!

One of my favourites would be tuna with mayo and sriracha chilli sauce.. absolutely delicious!

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

I just ate some today for breakfast/lunch. I just mixed rice and sesame seeds together and threw it into my onigiri mold. I stuffed it with some miso paste and some bonito flakes and wrapped it up in korean seaweed, because thats all I had. I left the rice balls out all night and they were surprising still good after 15 hours.

I think when I go to school tomorrow I am going to make a tuna salad one or maybe a natto and mayo one. I bet it would be good to make a shiso mayo and mix that with the natto, but that is too much work and I am lazy :raz:

anyone else like any other non traditional onigiri fillings?

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

My daughter and I picked these up at 7-11 after a friend of hers told her they were really good. Even 10 year old girls discuss where to get the best food around here!

They were really good and I would definitely get them again. They are meant to be warmed up before eating.

Gyu-meshi (beef rice) with soy simmered egg

gallery_6134_4148_538946.jpg

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

My daughter and I picked these up at 7-11 after a friend of hers told her they were really good. Even 10 year old girls discuss where to get the best food around here!

They were really good and I would definitely get them again. They are meant to be warmed up before eating.

Gyu-meshi (beef rice) with soy simmered egg

gallery_6134_4148_538946.jpg

That looks friggen delicious.

Is it just me or do store-bought onigiri almost never have enough filling?

That looks friggen delicious.

Is it just me or do store-bought onigiri almost never have enough filling?

It was really good! :biggrin:

I agree with not having enough filling but I also have to admit that at home I have tried to stuff them before and they actually end up falling apart...

It was really good! :biggrin:

I agree with not having enough filling but I also have to admit that at home I have tried to stuff them before and they actually end up falling apart...

Hmm. Good point. I think I'm gonna make me some kimchee and pork giris tonight. Yum!

So for those filled oniigiri. How hot or cold should be the rice (when making them)for the tuna and mayo stuffing for instance?

Thank you

The rice should be scalding hot to make good onigiri. Some more details can be found here.

But I don't think that the rice should be that hot to make onigiri with raw ingredients like raw tarako (cod roe). Anyway, the rice should be hot, not cold.

Thank you Hiroyuki

When I meant cold perhaps I meant to be at sushi temperature which is about 30C.

I would like to make tuna (canned type and mayo) so it does not need to recook the ingredients nor i want the mayo spread everywhere but just stay in the centre of the oniigiri.

I find that onigiri tastes so good when it is made by "grandmother's hand". It might be the years of experience, or the perfect amount of salt but onigiri fills my heart and tummy.

Unfortunately, I do not find genmai-onigiri much in Japanese cities. Yet, they make for delicious and nutty versions. Especially with kuro-goma & varieties on goma-sio.

Off to prepare some rice..enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

That looks really interesting -- not like the onigiri I used to see in Japan. Is it a new trend for convenience store onigiri to have "filling" on the outside now?

This was a tasty onigiri

<snip>

anago (conger eel) don

theere was a bit of shredded egg under the anago as well.

That looks really interesting -- not like the onigiri I used to see in Japan. Is it a new trend for convenience store onigiri to have "filling" on the outside now?
This was a tasty onigiri

<snip>

anago (conger eel) don

theere was a bit of shredded egg under the anago as well.

It may be a new trend but it sure helps foreigners like me identify and choose what to get. Not unlike here in Korea where I have to get my son to translate what's written on the package.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Torakris, those 7-11 onigiri look so good. I haven't been to Japan since last winter :shock:

And I didn't buy any food from 7-11!

But I'll have to next time I return, maybe this summer?

My mom's onigiri always had ajitsuke nori... and sometimes it was just that. And made out of leftover haigamai rice too :wacko:

Not all onigiri are equal :laugh:

• 4 weeks later...

A new onigiri from 3F convenience store, shogayaki (ginger flavored pork) with a spicy mayo. This was really good and I will definitely be getting it again.

gallery_6134_4148_585780.jpg

gallery_6134_4148_27465.jpg

I've tried my hand at making onigiri a few times since we returned from our trip to Japan. Actually, that's false. I haven't tried my hand, but I have tried my mold! :wink: I've made tasty treats with spicy tuna and mayo, as well as ones with roasted sesame seeds. I cook a lot of Chinese food here at home, however, and our favorite homemade onigiris have been stuffed with leftover stir frys! The best were beef and broccoli, and kung pao chicken. I took a bit of the leftovers, minced them, and briefly reheated in the microwave before stuffing the onigiri.

I bought several onigiri at convenience stores in Japan. Without being able to read Japanese characters, it was a crapshoot. Some were good, some...not so much. The strangest one contained what I think was a pat of butter in the center. I love butter, but somehow that was just plain wrong. :blink:

That ginger flavored pork one sounds good.

• 1 month later...

omg I have a plastic mold for making my onigiri, but I don't have special nori sheets. damn

what does pujang or poejang mean? I bet it means triangle

nope I was wrong

Edited by SheenaGreena (log)
BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA