• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Toro, a wine region new to me

sammy

I had a glass of 1999 Termes at Artisanal with some cheese and was blown away by the quality at such a reasonable price. It was unfamiliar to me but was recommended by our waitress for the cheese we ordered for dessert. The waitress said it was from Toro, a relatively unknown wine region that is starting to make a reputation for itself. The vines are supposedly very old with reduced yields. I've just secured a case at a per bottle cost of only $14.99. Termes is the second label of a wine known as Numanchia (spelling?) which goes for close to $50.

By the way, the cheeses were a Baby Epoisse, Savarin and I forget the 3rd.

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

Toro is terrific, Zamoran winemaking at its best. This region borders Portugal and their particular expression of tempranillo is big big big and tiny prices... Bravo!!!!!

over it

The low prices for Toro wines will slowly disappear. All the big names are investing. Vega Sicilia has a Toro coming out soon.

For my palate I usually find the wines of Toro a bit course. It is a HOT and dry region and it shows in the wines.

I tried the Numanthia (99) and couldn't really understand all the fuss. But it was at a tasting and maybe hadn't opened.

Edited by lissome (log)

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

Toro is indeed a really up-and-coming region in Spain that has tons of value to offer. These regions are also starting to recognize what they have in terms of grapes and soils and they are now coming up with more expensive bottlings (hence the Numanthia). Even the pricier wines represent value, however, as their French or Italian counterparts are going for well over a hundred dollars a bottle now (super Umbrian, anyone?)

Also look for wines from Costers del Segre (Raimat Estate), Tarragona and Jumilla for some nice, affordable surprises. Importers are starting to turn their attention to Spain since the rest of the Old World has pretty much been plumbed. Bully for us.

Jumilla is a fun one. Swings with the happier rioja notes, less blue.

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

• 3 months later...
I tried the Numanthia (99) and couldn't really understand all the fuss. But it was at a tasting and maybe hadn't opened.

I also tasted the 99 Numanthia at a wine dinner and it was great. I've read these suckers need some time to open up indeed.

Here's my WTN.