• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner with friends 6-1603

Florida Jim

Aperitif:

1999 Nigl, Riesling Hochacker:

an extraordinary nose of lime skin, fresh air, pears, minerals, flowers and strawberry, with a touch of bacon fat and a hint of anise; very complex/

medium body, graceful and intense flavors follow the nose with a very distinct salty mineral and stone element, a smooth and viscous texture with a rain-water note, expansive in the mouth, concentrated and complex, a bright acid backbone, great balance/

very long, crisp finish.

Very few wines in my experience approach the degree of complexity exhibited here. Classic Riesling but so much more. Excellent today and a great future ahead. A truly fine wine.

About $18, discounted.

With turkey meatballs with steamed collard greens in a chicken broth of fresh tomato and chopped basil:

2000 Lapierre Cambon Beaujolais:

deep black cherry and chocolate tones in the nose with some spice, animal and baked earthen scents/

medium body, equally deep flavors follow the nose and show black fruits in addition, concentrated, dense, intense, balanced/

medium length finish with a very slight alcoholic heat.

At 14.5% alcohol, this ain’t your Momma’s Beaujolais. A rich and smooth delivery of ripe flavors with lots of oomph and character. Good now; good later.

About $15, discounted.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

I've noticed you almost always have very positive things about Riesling.  Would you say it's your favourite grape?

Well, let's just say its one of my favorites, particularly the dryer versions.

But if someone told me I could have no more Gamay, Pinot Noir or Syrah, we'd be forced to "dance." :)

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com