• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

jmacnaughtan

jmacnaughtan

1 hour ago, cakewalk said:

I was looking around for a recipe for orange curd, and I came across this old thread. I'm bumping it up because it is so worth being bumped! 

Take your favourite lemon curd recipe, and replace the lemon juice with freshly squeezed orange juice that you've reduced by around 2/3 or 3/4.  Depending on what you want to do with it, adding 1% of the final weight in bloomed gelatin will improve the set, and/or 3% in cocoa butter will improve the texture.

I generally use gelatin and cocoa butter together when I want to use less butter.

ETA: don't reduce the juice with the rind, or it can become bitter.  Add that to the sugar and egg mix.

jmacnaughtan

jmacnaughtan

1 hour ago, cakewalk said:

I was looking around for a recipe for orange curd, and I came across this old thread. I'm bumping it up because it is so worth being bumped! 

Take your favourite lemon curd recipe, and replace the lemon juice with freshly squeezed orange juice that you've reduced by around 2/3 or 3/4.  Depending on what you want to do with it, adding 1% of the final weight in bloomed gelatin will improve the set, and/or 3% in cocoa butter will improve the texture.

I generally use gelatin and cocoa butter together when I want to use less butter.