• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Montreal Jazz Festival

Just a couple of hints usefull or not about hotel. First off, I joined a friend last week end for some food. He was staying at the new square philips hotel, I was really impressed with the 125$ corporate rate, small kitchen and loft size room. Not luxurious but very european. This would make an excellent spot for jazz fest travellers.

The hotel that offers free jazz concerts starting 12:00 was old gov. run, then meridien now became a Wyndham... this hideout is totally closed off for public or at least it's not always easy to get in. It is the official hotel for the fest, houses all artists and bands, etc... there have been some memorable jams in the bar with top 10 jazz artists... for free... unfortunately, to many peeps found out about it.

Reguarding Les chevres, I think in two hours you will be able to deal with this especially if you are in around 7:00h or 6:30h, that's early for us frenchies. If you tell them you have a concert, no probs. You have two alternatives to get to the jazz fest 1- cab ride that should take you all the way there or 2- car ride, in this case, the best deal to access parking for the jazz fest is around the complexe desjardins area (Rene levesques and janne mance), there are a couple of parking, you can make your way up Wyndham hotel half way and park there or to the left of that. You can also park your car around Rene Levesque and st laurent, there are two parking lots on the north est side of rene lesvesque, do not turn on st laurent or you will be trapped in traffic. Forget parking on st catherine it is totally blocked off around the Place des Arts Area. Expect a lot of jay walkers, it is a national sport here.

We are trying to set dinner reservations to mesh with the concert schedule.  For a 9:30 concert -- open seating -- at the Spectrum, how much time should one allow to get from Outremont to the downtown area by car?  Is car parking in the St. Catharine  area practical on a Saturday night pre-concert.  If the dinner is at Les Chevres, what is a realistic time to allow for dining?

Forget trying to park around the jazz festival site. It'll almost certainly be a nightmare for you. Best to take a cab from Les Chevres. It's even possible to walk five minutes to Park Ave from Les Chevres and take the no. 80 city bus right to the festival. Very easy actually, and a pretty quick ride. If it's hot and humid, stick to a cab. :smile:

yeah, dont park at the fest, that's just crazy.

chevres is open for supper at 6, and the bar is open at 530...

recommendation for the jazz fest: THE NEW DEAL are doing a free outdoor show on july 5, at 10pm. i have recently discovered NEW DEAL from a colleague at work, and i am excited to see them live, which i am sure is the best way to enjoy their stuff.

they call themselves something like "progressive live improvised breakbeat house". something like that. anyway, it's terribly danceable stuff, and im sure your energy will be pumping if you go to see them. im so there, it's not even funny.

joey

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

Ribo, I'll probably be there. I saw them open for st germain couple of years back. Tacky stuff, as in live house trance music, when you think they are going to the top, they keep going up, more and more until you just burst out laughing because it gets ridiculous. Keep you eyes on the drummer, he certainly shows why a band like this cannot give very long extended sets. That guy must have all sorts of tendenitis problems.

Thanks for the helpful practical advice.

On a Saturday night we have a concert at 6:00 in the Spectrum. I presume it will let out at about 8:00 -- 8:30 so we should plan for a lateish dinner.

I was thinking of au Pied de Cochon. Maybe reservations for about 9:00? It looks like it would be a 20 minute walk up Berri to 536 Duluth. Is there any convenient bus?

The trouble with aPdC is that it is not at all veggie-friendly or suitable for grazers. Chez Leveque much further up on Laurier with their half portions may be more suited for the two diet conscious teen-age girls I will have in tow. The atmosphere is convivial and the food isn't bad.

Any other suggestions on non-smoky places closer to the Spectrum that could have a varied menu for a post-concert dinner?

By the way is parking around van Horne and Parc on a late Friday afternoon reasonable?

There is some fish at Pied de cochon is that fits, the salads are also quite nice, I would simply order couple of appetizers for the girls. I find the experience at Pied de cochon to be much more enjoyable than Levesque for pure Montreal immersion, it's a little bit more unique in my opinion. Not withstanding the fact that it is on duluth. I strongly suggest going up st Denis but that's quite a walk, might be more than 30 minutes walk... don't go up Berri, there is nothing on that street. St Denis is one of the busiest street in Montreal. Take a cab half way up, around pine avenue and you are in business for a nice walk.

Ferreira downtown on peel might be another option, Rosalie could also be an option... Other options would be to walk down st Laurent towards the old Montreal. The downtown core is more of a shop district and turns a bit mad during the jazz fest.

The jazz fest shows are rather quick and tight (one of my peev with the Spectra boys...) for sure, you are out around 8:00h.

BTW parking on Van Horn is no trouble at all, take Van Horn from Parc Ave and park right there.

Tacky stuff, as in live house trance music

tacky stuff? well, "trance" (i hate to go with labels) is tacky as it is, at least these guys are actually doing it live. i think it's great. i cant wait to get my freaky on at this concert.

(EDIT)

...or from baton rouge... :raz:

Edited by riboflavinjoe (log)

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

hate to dwell on this no food subject but Ribo, I didn't want to sound bad about it but rather funny, even the band doesn't hold back on the cheezy acid sound, it's a trademark and they have plenty of fun with it, this is why I will be there to enjoy and laugh hard while dancing.

Cheers.

An article in today's NYTimes about travel to and things to do in Montreal. Did they get it right? :huh: p/s Roy's Hardgroove is both mighTy-electric and dancable should those be considerations. Of course in addition, he can actually play...which is not to say others can't, but that precious few do as well.

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

An article in today's NYTimes about travel to and things to do in Montreal. Did they get it right?  :huh:

Well, I don't know that Schwartz's and the word "brunch" are often used in the same sentence. :blink: They got it right about ordering the smoked meat medium.

I hear a lot about Bia but never actually heard her sign... I have two tickets to sell for Daniela Mercury, I can't get a baby sitter for that evening because it is too early.

Hi everyone,

Sorry for crashing your discussion in such a rude way...

I came across this post during my search and wanted to check with identifiler if the tickets are still available. I couldn't e-mail or send you a private message, so I'm posting my question here.

I've found this discussion list quite interesting. I live near Montreal and I enjoy visiting this wonderful city and especially trying its restaurants. I'll sure use this forum for future references :smile:

Thanks a bunch!

I believe they still are but I have to check with el heffe del prego who controls my agenda. However, we just learned that another of our concert has been diluted to almots nothing. Jazzanova's and Joseph Malik, malik will not show up and Jazzanova is now set for a dj show only and well... they suck as dj's and I have rarely praised folks for slapping on a round piece of vinyl... So Daniella may be in order for us...

Click on my name, then click on send mail. It will get to me.

An article in today's NYTimes about travel to and things to do in Montreal. Did they get it right?  :huh:  p/s Roy's Hardgroove is both mighTy-electric and dancable should those be considerations. Of course in addition, he can actually play...which is not to say others can't, but that precious few do as well.

Well, other than saying it takes NINE hours to drive from NYC they did OK. I live in NYC and usually can do it in less than seven hours and that includes three bathroom/gas breaks and the line at customs.

As for the food changes at the festival...does that mean there won't be those hot dog grills run by the friendly but not-too-quick college kids anymore? Those come in handy after a couple of Blues, (sorry, Bleues) at the Blues stage. :biggrin:

I love the jazz fest. Last year I tried the little SAQ terrace. It's right in front (a little oblique) of the main GM pavillion. You can get small sandwiches/salad and reasonable wine. Its not expensive at all. The trick is to get there about 30-45 minutes before a show and sit. You can eat while you wait (and people watch, of course) and the watch/listen to the show in relative comfort.

I definitely wouldn't try to park (and hope to get to the show on time). The metro and the bus system is great.

Great food, music and weather. It makes living in Montreal bearable in winter.

What kind of Jazz does Michael Bublé play? 

Michael Buble is a vocalist. The few cuts of his I've heard are backed by a big band, very commercial, but he has a nice smoky sound.

I haven't found the food at the Jazzfest to be all that interesting. We did have a very nice dinner at the Globe last year (3455 St. Lawrence), and I think it was within walking distance.

Otherwise, i would recommend La Chronique, Les Club des Pins and Laloux. (Just trying to bring up the food topic!).

Best,

Grace

Caught Roy Hargrove and Maceo Parker here last night, in NY opening the JVC jazz fest. Seriously tasty.

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais