• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin'

Varmint

Does the hog come by way of a local butcher, or will we get a chance to recreate the Portugal chapter from A Cook's Tour?

As much as I'd like to drag everyone out to a local hog farmer to take in the smells of their lovely lagoons, I'll just order a pig from a local butcher. I'll see if I can get a Nieman Ranch pig, but that may be unlikely.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I'm with Varmint on the BBQ. If you'll pardon my crudity, it's like my view of blondes, brunettes and redheads. If they're dressed properly, I have no problem with any of the above!

But, are you going to be with me for barbecue in October? You can ride up with Kathi Purvis!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Wow, I almost missed that in all the fine print.

Count me in the growing lists of maybes, sounds like it would be a lot of fun. I have a few clients in research triangle that I could hopefully wrap into the trip (let the IRS think this is a business trip). Hell, if I agree to spend some time in Charlotte where my wife has family, my better half might join me.

Hey I was just checking flights, and it's only an hour and a half flight from Toronto. Are we in the same time zone? I know nothing about this stuff! :blink:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I have a few clients in research triangle that I could hopefully wrap into the trip (let the IRS think this is a business trip).  Hell, if I agree to spend some time in Charlotte where my wife has family, my better half might join me.

Note that one of the last-minute ammendments that was slipped into the tax bill that just passed makes travel expenses for family members who accompany you on a business trip tax deductible. It was inserted by a congressman from Nevada in order to bolster tourist spending in his state.

It's amazing how living on Capitol Hill I end up knowing congressional trivia like this. I don't actually have anything to do with the congress myself.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

Hey I was just checking flights, and it's only an hour and a half flight from Toronto.  Are we in the same time zone?  I know nothing about this stuff! :blink:

Same time zone. And they even have electricity down there to power the clocks.

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Hey I was just checking flights, and it's only an hour and a half flight from Toronto.  Are we in the same time zone?  I know nothing about this stuff! :blink:

All right all right. :hmmm: I told you I dont' know this stuff. I'm bringing butter tart squares if they let me bring them over the border :blink: Or I could just make them in your kitchen Varmint :biggrin:

Marlene

I make pretty darn good sweet baked beans, and fabulous Mexican-style soupy "Charro" pinto beans.

Which one do y'all prefer.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

All right all right. :hmmm: I told you I dont' know this stuff. I'm bringing butter tart squares if they let me bring them over the border :blink: Or I could just make them in your kitchen Varmint :biggrin:

Mi kitchen, su kitchen, Senora Marlene! Although mi kitchen does sucketh a bit.

By the way, do they have moose or polar bear pickin's up there in the great white north???

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I make pretty darn good sweet baked beans, and fabulous Mexican-style soupy "Charro" pinto beans.

Damn, the Varmint household will be the center of North American gastronomic activity in October.

Remember my ol' standby line, Jaymes: You can call me Jimmy, 'cuz I'll take what you gimme.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Oh - and I'm also bringing my famous Chiles Rellenos Casserole - which is vegetarian - and maybe a tub of salsa, too.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Mi kitchen, su kitchen, Senora Marlene! Although mi kitchen does sucketh a bit.

By the way, do they have moose or polar bear pickin's up there in the great white north???

muchos gracias Senor :wub: . They don't take very long to make. I'll pm you for a list of things I'll need :biggrin: Or point me to the nearest grocery store :smile:

Well I think polar bears on the protected list, so not them, and moose isn't really a pickin kind of animal, although when the huntin boys get together during the season, anything can happen. We do however have some mighty fine pig pickin's up here - when it thaws enough for everyone to come out of their igloos of course :biggrin:

Marlene

How long is the drive from the DC area? We drive to Charlotte from time to time, but I don't think I've ever timed it to Raleigh.

If it's more than four hours we'd better buy the minivan with the DVD before the trip.

I'd offer rides, but with a four-year-old and a one-year-old in the car I don't think I'd get any takers. :laugh:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Pintos, absolutely. I love them. They are all to rarely seen these days. Black beans seem to have pushed them aside, for reasons I cannot understand.

MadVal, Seattle, WA

I'll wear my cowboy boots and overalls. Oh wait, that's for Houston. Never mind, I'll bring my hoop skirt and parasol - I'll be leaving my Czar's tiara at home :biggrin:

Marlene

Pintos, absolutely. I love them. They are all to rarely seen these days. Black beans seem to have pushed them aside, for reasons I cannot understand.

Okay - soupy Mexican Charro Beans it is.

With bacon of course. :biggrin:

And to garnish: salsa, extra jalapenos, cilantro....

Edited by Jaymes (log)

i wanna go.  :sad:

well then? If I can come from Canada , surely you can come from NY? Please?

Marlene

How long is the drive from the DC area?  We drive to Charlotte from time to time, but I don't think I've ever timed it to Raleigh.

If it's more than four hours we'd better buy the minivan with the DVD before the trip.

I'd offer rides, but with a four-year-old and a one-year-old in the car I don't think I'd get any takers.  :laugh:

Heather, are you on the Virginia side? If so, it's a bit more than 4 hours, but not too much more (assuming you go 5-7 miles over the speed limit and not counting potty and food breaks). Go through Richmond rather than around. ZebA drives up there regularly. The kids will be fine. They don't need a DVD, just parents with great patience!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites