• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DIGEST: UK Press

Please note : some of these links may require free registration to view.

Matthew Norman votes against Quirinale in the Telegraph.

Chef Hywel Jones of Pharmacy restaurant cooks pea soup.

Richard Johnson stops at The Talk House in Wales for The Independent whilst Mark Hix of The Ivy gets cooking here.

Matthew Fort hears the toll of the Bell Hotel in The Guardian.

Vegeterain dishes from Namita and Camellia Panjabi .

Jay Rayner feels the need to invoke memories of gay Spanish discos in order to review Brian Turner's new place, Giles Coren somehow manages not to and AA Gill says that'll do.

Nigel Slater minces about the place making spag bol.

Observer Food Monthly is now online.

Jill Dupleix cooks asparagus and Marcus Wareing prepares for summer.

Theres something fishy about Matthew Norman's latest review.

Chef Hywel Jones of Pharmacy restaurant cooks the main course.

Get the lowdown on English wine week.

18 out of 20 for Angela Hartnett ffrom Matthew Fort in The Guardian

The Kitchen Doctor is on call here.

Jay Rayner munches with the Majumdars.

Giles Coren stays indoors at The Berkeley Square Cafe for The Times.

AA Gill joins the Khew.

Read all about Nigel Slater's passion for cake .

Rose Shepherd reviews the latest books by the lovely Sybil Kapoor and the no less charming Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall (coming to an eGullet Q and A near you soon with any luck) here.

Jill Dupleix is the fisherman's friend.

Matthew Norman is at The Savoy Grill, as is Giles Coren and Lord almightly so is AA Gill.

Jan Moir reviews Benares.

Chef Hywel Jones of Pharmacy restaurant prepares the puds

Matthew Fort eats at another bloody gastropub for The Guardian.

Happy birthday from Heston.

Jay's away so Kath's at Khew.

Enjoy lunch with Nigel Slater.

Jill Dupleix practices her tapas dancing and Tom Conran is moorish (it says here).

• 2 weeks later...

Matthew Norman is outback at Osia.

Giles Coren joins the Khew

Here's a fascinating fact for you : AA Gill visited Tom Aikens on the same night I was there. I liked it more than he did by the looks of things. Matthew Fort on the other hand, who went on a different night to me, liked it a bit more than I did. Well, it would be a boring old world if we all agreed wouldn't it, eh?

Jan Moir noshes a bacon butty at Gordo's Caff.

Chef Rowley Leigh loses his cherry.

Heston is easy. But don't tell him I said so.

Its all Greek to Jay Rayner.

Nigel Slater doesn't like floppy lettuce, and who can blame him?

Jill Dupleix cooks South East Asian fudge. Sorry, fudges South East Asian Cooking.

• 2 weeks later...

Matthew Norman admires JC Novelli's immense....talent.

Joe Joseph is at (sung to the tune of "Volare") Benares Woah, Oh, Benares, Woah, Oh, Woah, Oh. As is AA Gill.

Jan Moir is content with La Contenta.

Matthew Fort stuffs himself at Locatelli and La Famiglia on the same day, the greedy git.

Jay Rayner walks down memory lane at The Savoy Grill.

Chef Rowley Leigh lays the blanket on the ground and has a picnic, and Andrew Catchpole supplies the wines.

Kevin Gould is easy this week, and doesn't care who knows.

Nice and sqeezy does it every time for our Nige.

Jill Dupleix on the BBQ.

• 4 weeks later...

Matthew Norman gets his suit on to eat at Tom Aikens.

Giles Coren tries the bread and wine at the new St John outpost.

Jan Moir is in Scotland. Everyone else is wondering why.

Matthew Fort in Northern Ireland. Belfast also.

Jay Rayner checks out an old banger or two at the hilariously named S & M cafe. Oh, my aching sides.

AA Gill at Wiltons

The new Observer Food Monthly is now available online.

Chef Rowley Leigh is thrilled to the very marrow.

Ramsay Cooks Summer.

Tom Conran on the bourgeoise.

Andrew Catchpole discovers white port.

Nigel Slater in a shell suit.

Tim Atkin investigates cheap US booze.

Jan MacQuitty's top Summer Wines.

Jill Dupleix in the herb garden.

• 2 weeks later...

It's all Greek to Matthew Norman (place postmodernist ironic exclamation mark here).

Jan Moir is in Penzance . My half-brother lives in Penzance, haven't seen him for a while. Hello Phil, if you're reading this. He won't be through, highly unlikely I would have said.

Matthew Fort is at the The Jolly Frog. In Shropshire. Christ on a bike it's another Gastropub. Last week he went to St John Bread & Wine. Thats more like it Matthew.

Jay Rayner is on holiday or something, so the no doubt delightful Harriet Lane is at Fleur. Lucky old Harriet, eh? I'd like to be at Fleur right now, possibly with Harriet, depends what she's like though really. Perhaps I'd be better off by myself. Table for one, Marcus me old mate.

Giles Coren eats at Fleur as well and is under the mistaken impression that the gold wallpaper has been slapped up since it changed it's name from Petrus. It's been up ages actually. I went over a year ago and they it was up then. You would think someone like Giles Coren would know about these sort of things wouldn't you? But he doesn't. Amazing really.

AA Gill went to the West Cornwall Pasty Co, but the funny thing is, it's not in West Cornwall actually, it's in the Kings Road. Well, it's probably easier for him to get to Kings Road than it is to Cornwall as he lives in London. Makes sense really doesn't it? When you think about it, it's logical.

Rowley Leigh is making ice creams. That's good isn't it? As it's summer and everything, nice and seasonal. He shares a house with Alastair Little you know. Well, at least he used to, not sure what he's doing now.

And blow me down if Heston Blumenthal isn't whipping up some sorbets! It's a July time feast. It really is!

Apparently "Zuma’s chef Rainer Becker has the recipe for a fast Japanese supper that tastes as good as it looks". You can't argue with that, now can you? (Saved me writing something clever to introduce the link. I'm usually flagging at bit by this point anyway, you've noticed I'm sure).

Andrew Catchpole on Tasmanian wines.

Oh look, there's that nice Nigel Slater. He's got some currants. Go and find out what he's doing with them.

Share I compare thee to nut and vomit? Well, thats how Oz Clarke described the aroma of chenin blanc according to Tim Atkin .

Jan MacQuitty's Star Buys for getting pissed with. Well, that's what it's for at the end of the day isn't it? Lets not pretend otherwise.

Jill Dupleix is cheesey. Better than being fishy I suppose. That's next week. Probably.

The Independent newspaper finally seems to have sorted its food and drink act out and now has what appears to be a fully up to date review section. So for this week here's a link to its index to allow to catch up with all those exciting and fascinating reviews you may have been missing out on : click. Normal service will be resumed next week.

Matthew Norman is gonna knock, knock, knock on Boxwood. I wonder if Ramsay will get the knock when he reads it.

Its a bad week all round for Ramsay et al, as Matthew Fort gives The Savoy Grill a drubbing.

Jan Moir has just got back from the Isle of Skye, she's not very big and she's awfully shy, but she has nevertheless been to The Three Chimneys which came somewhere in Restaurant magazine's top 50 list. They were out in force at the awards ceremony as well, if all the cheering when Bruno Brooks mentioned the restaurant's name is anything to go by.

Jay Rayner is still away (tarting around Tuscany or Provence no doubt) so this time its Katheryn Flett at Benares.

Calm down la, Giles Coren eats Liverpool. Gissajob, go on gissit, I can do that.

AA Gill is in an 8O8 state.

Hey pesto, Rowley Leigh is magic!

Put the kettle on, Tom Conran has got some scones on the go. What a nice lad.

Giles Kime returns to chardonnay and loves limoncello. I've got quite a good limoncello related tale. Get me drunk enough and I might tell you about it sometime.

Nigel Slater can't be bothered to write any recipes this week, but has still managed to spin an article of pure gold out of practically nothing. How does he do it. The man's a genius.

Tim Aiken says live a little and choose something than your usual tipple. Sound advice sir.

Jan MacQuitty's "holiday wines". Whatever the bastard hell that's meant to mean.

Jill Dupleix is smoking. Nasty habit if you ask me.

• 2 weeks later...

Richard Johnson and the humorous sandwiches. Hmm, good name for a band.

Peek through the kitchen door, see Mark Hix in the raw (did you ever, did you ever).

Belinda Richardson goes mad for the Crazy Bear. With puns like that, I could get a job on local radio, no problem.

Has Matthew Norman contracted rabies? Find out why Thyme has got him frothing at the mouth.

Jay Rayner goes back to basics at St John Bread and Wine.

Alimentary my dear Coren. Giles investigates Sherlock's Grill.

AA Gill dines at Fino.

There is nothing funny about Rowley Leigh's Aubergines. Oh well, better luck next week I suppose.

You can never have enough recipes for summer pudding can you? So here's another from Jill Dupliex.

There's red, white, rose, dessert, and now "hot weather" wines according to Jane McQuitty. What will they think of next.

Giles Kime is after affordable reds.

Nigel Slater gives us his take on kebabs. I'm aquiver with the excitement of it all.

Tom Conran on shellfish.

Tim Aiken is living la Vida Nova with Sir Cliff of all people. Who'd have thought it!!

The Observer Food Magazine is on line now. Don't miss the cracking short story about an Irish celebrity chef who ends up in the Brooklyn Detention Centre cooking for the mafia. Oh no, my mistake, its all true apparently. Amazing lives sone people lead. Like, really amazing.

Restaurant reviews

Belinda Richardson speeds The Plough. Rural!

Matthew Norman eats lunch in a Synagogue. Kosher!

Matthew Fort at The Vineyard. Disappointing!

Jay Rayner at Osia. Fusion!

Coren on Conran. Alliterative!

AA Gill at Ashbells. Soulful!

Tracey MacLeod risks a blind date in Wales. Potentially life threatening!

Food

I once phoned the Fifth Floor kitchen and asked "Is Henry Harris around?" "Oh, hes very round" came the witty reply. But no longer. Two stones lighter, Henry presents his Atkin's inspired recipes. Slimming!

Jill Dupliex on tomatos. Fruity!

Mark Hix raises his game. Savoury!

Monty Don, not in the garden, but in his kitchen. Unexpected!

Tom Conran on the grill. Spatchcocked!

Fiona Beckett takes a University Challenge. Intelligent!

Drink

Andrew Catchpole on the joys of Pic Saint Loup. Continental!

Jane McQuitty mixes her drinks. Dangerous!

Tim Atkin on Robola, Roditis, Aghiorghitiko, Limnio and Xinomavro. Grecian!

Malcom Gluck's Superplonk. Convienient!

Restaurant reviews

Belinda Richardson in trouble.

Matthew Norman gets himself in a right state over 8 over 8 .

Matthew Fort at Cafe Arabica.

Will Buckley in north Norfolk. I do hope he made it back to civilisation without too much trouble.

Coren gets to grips with Eat and Two Veg. Do you see what they've done there etc.

India Knight reviews The Fox and Goose whilst AA Gill is on his hols.

Richard Johnson is on a Pilgrimage.

Food

Ok, I've seen the evidence with my own eyes, Henry Harris is indeed half the man he used to be. Here's how he did it.

Jill Dupliex is the Times cook in "Cut Out & Cook".

Purple craze is on his mind. Yes, its Mark Hix's touching Hendrix tribute in the form of a fruit pie.

Tom Conran's Spanish classics.

Nigel Slater: raw!

Fiona Beckett with more food for students. I thought they lived on beer and fags?

Drink

Jane McQuitty's summer bargins.

Michael Jackson on bourbon. Shamoe motherfucker! (Oh, hold on a moment. Wrong Michael Jackson).

Superplonk. Say no more.

Giles Clime on why the Brits beat the French when it comes to winetasting.

Please note : some of these links may require free or paid registration to view.

Restaurant reviews

Elfreda Pownall (a fine name madam!) dines at the Cavalieri Hilton in Rome.

Matthew Fort is on the trail of Franco Taruschio at Barnsley house.

Jay Rayner at South Mims service station, or something . I don't know, you go and have a look, see if you can work out what he's going on about.

Giles Coren eats at "The Gavroche".

India Knight reviews The Kings Arms and AA Gill is still on his hols.

Caroline Stacey finds there's something fishy about Bunham Market.

Marina O'Loughlin at new London hot spot Morgan M.

Food

That incredible shrinking chef, Henry Harris shares more of his slimming recipes.

Gordon Ramsay is the new Times Cook.

Want some recipes by Mark Hix? Four squid to you mate.

Tom Kimes wedding feast. Who is Tom Kime I hear you ask. Well...he's a mate of Jamie Oliver, and he's got a TV series coming up. That's, uh, terrific news. Good for Tom.

Nigel Slater's gone to seed.

Fiona Beckett finds students entertaining . I'm glad somebody does.

Drink

Jane McQuitty on wine tasting.

Superplonk.

Tim Atkin and the Pinot Noir masochists.

Chris Losh on the wines of South Africa.

Anthony Rose on the relatively unknown pleasures of wines from Oregon and Washington

Jay Rayner at South Mims service station, or something . I don't know, you go and have a look, see if you can work out what he's going on about.

It's bloody obvious what I'm going on about. It's a restaurant called Mims, and I made a lousy joke about south mims services because it's, well, what it's newspaper johnnies do. I mean really, give a man a break. Oh, and it's a good restaurant. And it's not a service station.

Jay

Sorry Jay, its just that I get so bored doing these links that I have to amuse myself somehow. I was pretending to misunderstand for "comic" effect. Bit poor I know, but I thought the Mark Hix quip was quite amusing this week and the Fiona Beckett is quite clever once you know what the article is about. But my favourite so far is last weeks bourbon link, that made me laugh.

Please note : some of these links may require free or paid registration to view.

Restaurant reviews

Lucy Bannell spins us a Jaan.

Matthew Fort at Osia.

Jay Rayner eats at Union-Undeb, but fails to name check eGullet member Paul Bell who joined him for dinner that night. Bang goes your 5 minutes of fame Paul. Nevermind, maybe this is some small consolation for you. No, probably not.

Giles Coren eats at the entirely unpronounceable Fakhreldine

The much discussed AA Gill is at The Gate

Richard johnson is content with La Contenta.

Ramsay reviews restaurants.

Food

Whats that eggy smell? Best ask Henry Harris.

Gordon Ramsay shares some of his secrets, which turn out to be surprisingly similar to a bunch of recipes.

Jill Dupliex on Caesar salad. Amazing what you can get away with these days isn't it?

Mark Hix minces his words.

Tom Conran is in a pickle

An extract from Madhur Jaffrey's excellent new Curry Bible.

Heston proves that he's a fungi to be with.

Drink

Jane McQuitty does the oaky-cokey.

Superplonk

Tim Atkin on bloody expensive wine lists.

Terry Kirby tastes the best batch yet.

Restaurant reviews

Jan Moir is down at the doctors.

Matthew Fort goes to the dogs.

Jay and Simon sitting in a tree etc....

Giles Coren at Edera which means ivy. Just thought you'd like to know.

AA Gill at Uli.

The quite frankly yummy Tracey MacLeod gives Conran's etain a Glasgow kiss.

The equally lovely Marina O'Laughlin lords it up at Petrus by Marcus Wareing.

Latest Observer Food Monthly is now on line with an extract from Nigel Slater's autobiography "Toast". a further extract is available here.

Food

Tamasin Day Lewis is so Provencal darling.

Gordon Ramsay reveals his secrets about trade. Sorry, I mean't reveals trade secrets. Virtually the same thing though isn't it?

Mark Hix grabs a kebab.

A further extract from Madhur Jaffrey's Curry Bible, review coming soon on eGullet.

Heston on matters of taste.

Drink

Jane McQuitty says that cheese and wine are not a marriage made in heaven.

Anthony Rose writes a corker of an article.

Superplonk.

Tim Atkin knows when he's been Tango'd.

Mark Palmer joins the professionals.

Restaurant reviews

Jan Moir tastes less of Marcus Waring than she'd hoped for.

Matthew Fort Finds Former Fat Fowl Down The Wells!

Jay Rayner thinks Gordon Ramsey is filthy, dirty, sexy, and gosh, good enough for kids.

Giles Coren finds absolutely nothing funny about N20.

AA Gill avoids being hit once again by a large truck, then decides he might as well review the Berkley Square Cafe.

Richard Johnson goes looking for his soul at Ashbells, turns up empty-handed.

Maschler munches (mashes?) Wareing

Latest Observer Food Monthly is now on line - includes an extract from Nigel Slater's autobiography "Toast".

Food

Heston Blumenthal wants you to play with fire.

Tamasin Day-Lewis searches out the heroes of Ireland

Wanna be filthy sexy dirty like Gordon Ramsay? More Trade Secrets!

Jackie Hunter discovers a cavalcade of real black puddings.

Nigel Slater's Last Supper.

Yvonne Thomas roams about Buffalos

Mark Hix does a Lancky tart, and Liverpudlian lobscouse.

Drink

Jane McQuitty is bothered by zinfandel.

Superplonk!

Tim Atkin learns the finer points of getting stonkered.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

• 2 weeks later...

Restaurants

Why hell hath no fury like the celebrity chef who scores a two-star rating By Terri Judd.

Jay Rayner casts his eye upon the Summer Isles, and decides - Yea, that it was a bit good.

Mathew Fort living it large in France - Le Moulin de Lourmarin

Tracey MacLeod finds Adria cutalike in Cumbria.

Giles Coren - gets bolshy with silly buggers from Bolton.

A A Gill impressively avoids assassination for yet another week to wax mystical over St John Bread and Wine.

"Sheer artistry on a plate" mumbles Maschler.

Toby Young - Simply Simpsons.

Food

Observer Food Monthly can be found...

Ere, that Nigel Slater does loverly things with tomatoes.

30 Cloves of Garlic? Richard Ehrlich laughs at you! Turning his breath to eleven - he pushes the limit!

Devastation! Ramsey's Final Trade Secrets!

Urm - except for these...

Chicken tikka v foie gras - the final battle!

Tamasin Day Lewis'll be coming 'round the mountain when she comes!

Wine

Malcolom Gluck - Super Plonk!

Fiona Beckett - For heaven's sake!

Age of enlightenment.

Tim Atkin thinks some wine mark-ups are super!

Edited by MobyP (log)

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

By 'eck, chaps, this week we've got a biggun (any Brighton-esque prurience is entirely necessary).

Pop! The new Observer Food Monthly.

Restaurants

Five Writers go mad at French Laundry, El Bulli, GR-RHR, ADMonaco, and Vongrichten.

Jan Moir opines over Latium.

Matthew Fort Does a double.

Marina O'Loughlin finds the rich and famous - well, a bit rich and famous.

Marina O'Loughlin - Partial yet Pertinent Pub in Palatable Pimlico.

Fay Maschler masticates measurably over La Fromagerie Cafe.

Richard Johnson swings beneath the Yew Tree.

Diana Henry finds rural Gastro Pubs.

Propa Sunday

Roasts.

Giles Coren has fun putting on The Ritz.

A A Gill: Man of the people, has lunch.

Food

Sister of Fascist, Nazi, Socialist Revolutionary, and Novelist (aka: the last Mitford) decides to get someone else to raise a chicken, and then takes all the credit - but ooh, she's terribly well bred herself.

The great Diana Kennedy In Mexico.

Belinda Richardson dredges deep.

Antonio Carluccio does yet more things with mushrooms.

Gordon Ramsay's TV Dinners.

Tamasin Day-Lewis does the Aga - watootsie.

Crème du Carême - The man, the lover, the turnip,

the cook.

Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall slaps you around with a dead fish (the way it's supposed to be done, of course)

Nigel Slater goes in for a little rib-tickling.

Heston Blumenthal sprinkles Pixie Dust where other chefs can't reach.

Richard Ehrlich Probes the perfect black pudding.

Indian Food with a difference.

Wine

Tim Atkins gives what for over oak.

Super Plonk.

The winners and losers in the 2003 vintage stakes.

Three for the weekend.

How long to age, how soon to drink?

Jane MacQuitty looks at New Zealand.

Edited by MobyP (log)

Flickr Food

Restaurants

Matthew Fort at The Mirabelle (No, the one in Sussex).

Chinese torture - Marina O'Loughlin finds out how it's done.

Patterson's

Tracey MacLeod - Balham Bar & Kitchen.

Tsunami by Lisa Jardine

Jan Moir at Le Mont

Jay Rayner considers the rockiness of nipples at Edera.

Petrus The Saga.

Matthew Norman Nibbles.

A A Gill: Man of the People, slathers.

Food

The Great Sunday Roast by Whatsisface - you know - Wareing.

By Jimminy, you can't throw a stick without hitting him...

Gordon Ramsay does Autumn Pies.

Heston Blumenthal messes with Microwaves.

Richard Ehrlich - The perfect Beetroot.

Core Blimey - Mark Hix celebrates the great British apple.

Five young English chefs are whisked to Italy.

Wine

A quest for the soul of French winemaking.

Something for the Weekend?

A whole New World.

Superplonk.

Fiona Beckett - Frangelico.

Andrew Catchpole - Vermouth.

Edited by MobyP (log)

Flickr Food

RESTAURANTS

Matthew Fort's at Ramsey's old caf, Aubergine ( "This is just about the best thing that I've ever eaten," says mate...)

Giles Coren on America, Fatitude, SUV-iness, and the petite joys of obese-less-ness at Morgan M

Unless you're feeling Bloated...

A A Gill - misanthrope, pedaphobically windy, mood hasn't improved significantly in 30 years, Seeks Similar.

Marina O'Loughlin's cat knows more about fayn dayning than that Conran fella!

Mathew Norman's Neighbourhood: Lemonia.

Beware the Pigeon! Aura, London.

Petrus - The final boot. Our Man Jay steps forward to have a go.

Maschler on... what??? ITALIAN SUSHI???

FOOD

Fowl play - Nigel Slater plays with plucking pigeons.

Caroline Stacey and an ostentation of Critics spend the night cooking dinner for a pinch of chefs.

Heston Blumenthal on the joys of venison.

Richard Ehrlich - The Perfect Partridge.

Gordon Ramsay -Autumn.

Christine Manfield (From Australia) has a thing or two to show you.

Tom Conran - Comfort Gratins.

Marcus Wareing - perfect Roast Pork.

Don't Stew! Sear! The New New Indian Approach.

New Cookery Boooks.

Mark Hix - Pumpkin Madness.

WINE

Superplonk.

Tim Atkin - going bonkers over the 2000 Bordeaux.

Jane MacQuitty - Cognac.

Joanna Simon - Madeira.

Wine of the Week.

Cellar notes #4: Storage.

Edited by MobyP (log)

Flickr Food

Please note : some of these links may require free or paid registration to view. Others may be used in court as a demonstration of poor taste and/or low moral character.

This week has only the choicest and most tender selection of reviews, cooking, and drunken debauchery from the culinaria of:

The Times

The Independent

The Guardian

The Observer

This Is London

Restaurants

Our Man Jay on the nostalgia of actually having dinner.

Never eat a critic to send a man's job. Pied à Terre by Daniel Finklestein.

Matthew Fort at groovy yet fusionistic Jaan.

Marina O'Loughlin on the Tastes of Lombardy.

Jan Moir: Shumi - Blink and you'll miss it.

Terry Durack: Essenza - does exactly what it says on the tin.

A A Gill: Man of the People - Socialist Revolutionary or Imperialist Stooge? At Chowki.

Fay Maschler: Viktor - modern Japanese with - dear oh dear - Latin American, French and Russian influences.

Food

Gordon Ramsey wants to help you get a date with Sexy Food.

Marcus Wareing: This week it's Perfect Roast Lamb.

Pumpkins for Dummies.

A trio from Jill Dupleix:

Pumpkin soup with sweet onions and sage.

Chicken Tikka.

Easy choucroute.

Winter Warmers - involving, obviously, yet more pumpkins.

Richard Ehrlich - The perfect Lemon Curd

Mark Hix goes nutty with -

Whisky and walnut tarts

and Lentil and chestnut soup

Wine Etc

Why George W, The CIA, and the FDA want your Wine.

Jane MacQuitty gets fruity on the descriptions of wine.

Superplonk.

Japanese Whisky

Rachel Simhon: Chianti

Cellar notes #5: 110 quid for a bottle of the Ozzy good stuff. Is it worth it?

Edited by MobyP (log)

Flickr Food

Please note : some of these links may require free or paid registration to view. Others may be used in court as a demonstration of poor taste and/or low moral character.

Ever in the attempt to improve our service - This week we have a new and glossy fold-out Features section. Feel free to remove, and read on the Bus!

This week's selection comes from:

The Times

The Independent

The Guardian

The Observer

This is London

And the new Observer Food Monthly.

Restaurants

Terry Durack at Chinoise.

Mathew Norman at Rosemary Lane.

Marina O'Loughlin spots Three to look out for.

Jan Moir Momo at Selfridges.

Maschler on the entirety of Australia.

Amateur sleuth Master Finkelstein caught with Nipa.

Mathew Fort at The Tickers Arms.

Jay Rayner on being too-often confused for a Dominatrix, and the joys of Lindsey House.

Marina O'Loughlin - a quivering steamed pud, a jug of custard, and a spoon. What more do you need? At Rhodes 24

Melinda Stevens goes to Rhodes 24.

Another at Rhodes 24

Features

Looking into the problems of international farming subsidy inequities, and the struggle to overcome protectionist markets, Andrew Purvis researches Fair Trade Brands.

"I could have opened a safe little brasserie like the Ivy" - Rachel Cooke talks with Maourad Masouz - the man behind Sketch.

Xanthe Clay tracks down breathtakingly sharp Japanese Knives.

The art of Japanese Fishmongery.

English Food Special

Dan Lepard on the quest for the perfect bread, using traditional mills.

Nigel Slater - fun Yorkshire puds.

Jill Dupleix on the Greatness of Kedgeree.

Heston Blumenthal - Snail Porridge.

Chocolate Recipes.

Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall wants to kill his own breakfast.

Mark Hix shows you some extremely sexy things to do with day-old bread.

Marcus Wareing part four: Perfect Roast Chicken.

Your loved one dumps you for your best friend. You get fired from your job. Your dad's discovered running down the street in women's underwear. It starts raining, and you get arrested for somewhat illegal behaviour with the neighbour's dog? GORDON RAMSEY on being alone.

Wine

Price and prejudice - Tim Atkins on spending serious money for Serious Wine.

Cellar notes #6: Degrees of Separation.

Superplonk.

Tim Atkins on Australian wines.

Andrew Catchpole guide to buying Champagne in France.

Part 2-ish.

Edited by MobyP (log)

Flickr Food

The Times

The Independent

The Guardian

The Observer

This is London

Restaurants

Matthew Fort The Anchor & Hope.

Marina O'Laughlin at The Wolseley

Of course, Jan Moir and Fay Maschler might have also been there - I wouldn't hazard a guess.

Marina O'Laughlin shows you where to find a bit of turkey, this Thanksgiving.

Jay Rayner in Birmingham - at Jessica's.

The continuing adventures of Morgan M.

Siobhan Murphy goes to Solyluna, London's first Venezuelan restaurant.

A A Gill returns from America, having failed to discover the purpose of life, or get a job as an escort at the new Trotter place, instead decides, after his usual prevarication, to review Shumi.

And yet more Shumi...

Matthew Norman at Julien in Paris.

Fay Maschler - with Fish-man Rick Stein at Rhodes 24

Features

Truffles in Croatia? Rosanna de Lisle goes digging.

Tim Atkin on the retirement of Spain's greatest winemaker.

Food

Heston Blumenthal with an extremely impressive recipe for Oxtail.

Gordon Ramsey on Snack food.

Richard Ehrlich on Lardons.

Mark Hix - the perfect Christmas feast.

Mutton dressed as Lamb.

Rowley Leigh - goes in for chunky winter Soups.

Nigel Slater on Sausages.

Tamasin Day-Lewis prepares Autumnal dishes.

As does Jill Dupleix

Wine and Spirits

Super plonk.

Cellar notes #7: The Shiraz Showdown.

Tamasin Day-Lewis - Sloe Gin.

Joanna Simon - California Sauce.

Flickr Food

• 2 weeks later...

The Times

The Independent

The Guardian

The Observer

This is London

Restaurants

Matthew Fort at The Fox Hunter.

Marina O'Laughlin at Harvard Grill.

Jan Moir in Sedgefield.

Fay Maschler : all over Battersea, some hope and some despair.

Jay Rayner is no Joe Schmo.

Carolyn Stacey learns Latium.

A A Gill in the family way at Patterson's.

Matthew Norman says Morgan M is for Marvelous.

Giles Coren at Thackeray's

Food

Heston Blumenthal on cous cous.

John Torode, he cooks for the laydeez.

Gordon Ramsey on kids food.

Mark Hix didn't buy it.

Rowley Leigh tells us to get stuffed. Charmed, I'm sure.

Nigel Slater and his amazing ginger cakes.

Jill Dupleix's chickens are roamin'...sorry, Roman.

Wine and Spirits

Super plonk.

Cellar notes #8: A guiding light.

Andrew Catchpole's Xmas wine.

Tim Atkin in France.

Joanna Simon is on the Sauce again. People will talk.