• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"The Apprentice" - Pepin's memoires

FoodMan

I read this book last summer and really enjoyed it. I love the pictures of little Jacques...talk about someone born to be a chef. His adventures from Paris to HoJos are very interesting. He also spoke about his terrrible car accident and his failure in running a country Inn restaurant in CT. A very good read.

I read the apprentice last summer during my beach week and made every recipe in it: those eggs ( i can't remember the name, the ones he credits his wife) were fantastic!

I also had the divine pleasure of meeting Mr. Pepin at the Beard Awards last May. There was a party the night before the gala at some ridiculous six floor club in mid-town that was a meet and greet for the nominees and presenters. I had already imbibed more cocktails and wine that night than I can remember, and was surprised to see this absolutely adorable little man standing next to the bar, alone. I had gone to the awards with my employer, who was nominated, if she had ever met him, turns out no...I was on my own. So I just walked up, drunk and nervous as hell and introduced myself. He took my hand in both of his, and was so warm and gracious, I could have nearly cried. Actually, during a drunken 3 a.m. call to my SO, I did. 'Don't you get it...(sniffle)...I met Jacques Pepin...THE Jacques Pepin!'

"Godspeed all the bakers at dawn... may they all cut their thumbs and bleed into their buns til they melt away..."

Am I the only person who found gaping holes in the narrative? He only mentions Claudine three times -- and he shot two series' with her. His wife is sort of a non-entity in the book.

I'm a big fan of Jacques, and I thought the story of his early years was fascinating, but once he started working at Howard Johnsons, it went downhill fast. Big things were treated dismissively "I opened a restaurant, and it failed."

I also thought he could have talked about certain chefs without mentioning that they wanted to be his boyfriend. I'm always a little put off by people who have to tell you over and over again how straight they are.

And where was Julia? He barely mentioned her. I can't remember exactly, but I think she is in the index for two or three mentions. And he shot a series and wrote a book with her.

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"

I read the apprentice last summer during my beach week and made every recipe in it: those eggs ( i can't remember the name, the ones he credits his wife) were fantastic!

I also had the divine pleasure of meeting Mr. Pepin at the Beard Awards last May. There was a party the night before the gala at some ridiculous six floor club in mid-town that was a meet and greet for the nominees and presenters. I had already imbibed more cocktails and wine that night than I can remember, and was surprised to see this absolutely adorable little man standing next to the bar, alone. I had gone to the awards with my employer, who was nominated, if she had ever met him, turns out no...I was on my own. So I just walked up, drunk and nervous as hell and introduced myself. He took my hand in both of his, and was so warm and gracious, I could have nearly cried. Actually, during a drunken 3 a.m. call to my SO, I did. 'Don't you get it...(sniffle)...I met Jacques Pepin...THE Jacques Pepin!'

Now that's cool!

Now that Comfort Me mentions it, I suppose there were some holes in the narrative, but still I did enjoy it and liked that he did end up going over to the dark side by working at HoJo's rather than work for the Prez. I felt he said some pretty nice things about his wife-she sounded quite interesting and outspoken, and found myself wanting to hear more about his life with his wife and daughter. Oh well, maybe he will have another book out because after all, this one was about being an Apprentice.

I tried his mom's apple tart recipe and it was great!

why is HoJo's the dark side?

Oh because it's a chain restaurant versus fine dining. But as he explained, he helped make the food at HoJo's better which is good! Of course it's declined since then...

I read it a couple weeks ago, great story. My only complaint was he is too modest. Situations happened and he would be rewarded, he always seemed to chalk it uo to luck, when in reality the outside observer can see his genuis played a bigger role than luck. He seems like such a decent guy though you can't imagine him really telling the truth, rather glossing things over than to praise himself.

And Claudine, (along with Sofia Coppola) are two women I'd like to marry, 'cept of course the fact that I'm already happily married. Neither of them are too hard on the eyes, but the real reason is that I'd like to hang out with their old men. "So, uhhh, we going to your parents again this weekend?"

why is HoJo's the dark side?

Oh because it's a chain restaurant versus fine dining. But as he explained, he helped make the food at HoJo's better which is good! Of course it's declined since then...

But they made such great fried clams.

Among other things.

Am I the only person who found gaping holes in the narrative? He only mentions Claudine three times -- and he shot two series' with her. His wife is sort of a non-entity in the book.

You have to remember, that this is a memoir, not a biography. A memoir usually devotes itself to one aspect of life or one period of time. This book says right on the cover "My Life in the Kitchen", so Jacques probably felt that intimate details about Claudine or Gloria are probably not germaine.

In a world of peeping-tom scenarios, this book was most refreshing!

And thanks, Phlawless, for that little anecdote-- it's nice to know that JP is really the lovely person he seems to be-- I heard another story of him rescuing a dog while on vacation in the carribbean and going through all of the red tape to bring him back to the US and restore him to perfect health. What a terrific person!!

I loved the book too. I already was an admirer of Jacques Pepin and the book really gave me some added insight into what made him the person and chef he is. Especially why he is so frugal! I thought he came across as quite humbe as opposed to the Jeremiah Tower approach, taking credit for everything and discrediting those he worked with along the way. The early stuff when he was a child during the war was especially terrific and the tidbits about people like Craig Claiborne were quite revealing.

In the same vein I have enjoyed some other food/memoirs. Apricots on the Nile by Colette Rossant, the two Ruth Reichl books, Apples at my Table and Tender at the Bone.

For the benefit of all members who may be interested in reading other member's opinions about The Apprentice, I've just merged three separate threads beginning almost a year ago. Thanks for your understanding if your contributions appear under a slightly different topic title.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

In the same vein I have enjoyed some other food/memoirs. Apricots on the Nile by Colette Rossant, the two Ruth Reichl books, Apples at my Table and Tender at the Bone.

Actually, Ruth's first book was Comfort Me With Apples. And it was a very good read. Her stories, especially about her mother, are funny and sad and real.

Edited by Comfort Me (log)

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"

I loved the book too. I already was an admirer of Jacques Pepin and the book really gave me some added insight into what made him the person and chef he is. Especially why he is so frugal! I thought he came across as quite humbe as opposed to the Jeremiah Tower approach, taking credit for everything and discrediting those he worked with along the way. The early stuff when he was a child during the war was especially terrific and the tidbits about people like Craig Claiborne were quite revealing.

Yes, I liked that he was so frugal, too. I think it's rare for people today; they're so used to throwing stuff out or considering certain things inedible. It's also cool that he would go hunting/foraging for food.

And I agree with you on Ruth's books. I love her stories, particularly of her mother who's quite like mine....serving food quite past it's prime :wacko: I'll have to check out the other book you mentioned.

Actually, Ruth's first book was Comfort Me With Apples. And it was a very good read. Her stories, especially about her mother, are funny and sad and real.

Actually, the first book was Tender At The Bone and was the one about her childhood and mother. Comfort Me With Apples was the second book.

I thought Jacques Pepin was almost overly, if refreshingly, humble in his book. He makes it sound as if it was a complete accident that he ended up cooking for the president of France.

Edited by rickster (log)

• 3 years later...

Just another person repeating what you've all heard. Great read and a gracious person. Happily signed my copy while I was stuck cooking next door to a Sur La Table book signing in Seattle down in Pike Place Market. Met him afterwards when he walked into the restaurant I used to work at and remembered signing my book. Took time to talk with a young cook. Great Chef.