• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

raisins

Raisin mashed potatoes.

Raisin lasagna.

Pastrami and raisin sandwich.

Raisin omelette.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

How about some BiBimBap with raisins?

Not for me thanks.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Okay, okay, raisins don't go with everything!

but why do they go so well with rice? both savory and sweet?

How can you not eat them sauteed with spinach and pine nuts?

or in a curried couscous?

or in a rice pudding?

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

but why do they go so well with rice? both savory and sweet?

That's like asking "Why does pastuerized honey taste like vaseline smells?" Perhaps to someone ehse it does as well, but most likely it doesn't.

Edited by Jinmyo (log)

Raisins go with cheese.  A slice of fruitcake and a piece of cheddar, please.

That might be the booze in the fruitcake talking, Wilfrid.

I always though I hated fruitcake, until this year I ate the one made by a Scottish friend of mine.

Incredible! :rolleyes:

I love fruitcake, only if it is made right though!

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I like fruitcake if it is made right or left by a few hundred miles.

Raisin mashed potatoes.

Raisin lasagna.

Pastrami and raisin sandwich.

Raisin omelette.

Raisins and lasagna might be good if you used a light tomato or fresh tomato sauce rather than a heavy, bolognese. There's a well-loved dish called "Chicken Country Captain" which pairs raisins with canned tomatoes, curry and chicken. It is quite delicious.

I'll give you the mashed potatoes, pastrami sandwich and omelette. You're right. I can't justify the raisins.

I'll give you the mashed potatoes, pastrami sandwich and omelette.

Oh, no. Please. You take them. :wink:

I started making my own caponata when I grew tired of fishing the raisins out of most commercial brands . . .

Me and raisins -- NOT!!!!!  :angry:

See. This is how I feel about mushrooms. Ick. I'm always digging them out of things.

Why do people eat fungus? Mmmmmm, Fungus! Yuck! Dried grapes! Does not compute. :huh:

I started making my own caponata when I grew tired of fishing the raisins out of most commercial brands . . .

See. This is how I feel about mushrooms. Ick. I'm always digging them out of things.

Why do people eat fungus? Mmmmmm, Fungus! Yuck! Dried grapes! Does not compute. :huh:

claire, I love you like the sister I've never met and only know through postings on eGullet.

But you and I are both homes to numberless fungi that are part of what makes the body work. Fungi are fun. From cloud mushrooms to porcini to flower mushrooms to fairy ring mushrooms, fungi are everywhere.

And delicious.

And nutritious.

Were there to be a war between the mushroom eating people and the raisin eaters, you'd be outnumbered by billions.

So we'll not be disrespecting the fungi.

Ken's Bakery here in Portland makes pain de raison with tea-soaked raisins (Earl Grey)...gives whole new dimension to the raisin.

Jim

I'm not sure that a whole new dimension would be good for raisins (a whole new universe, maybe).

I have to say I'm a bit surprised at the vehemence of all you raisin lovers, though. Didn't expect it.

steak w/raisin sauce? :blink:

Actually, that's not as far fetched as it sounds. The ingredient list for A1 Steak Sauce, if anyone hasn't checked, lists: tomato puree, distilled vinegar, corn syrup, salt, raisin paste, spices and herbs, crushed orange puree, dried garlic and onion, caramel color, potassium sorbate, and xanthan gum.

I've noticed raisin paste or puree used in other steak sauces, as well; I just don't have any other samples in my pantry just now.

We'll not discriminate great from small.

No, we'll serve anyone - meaning anyone -

And to anyone at all!

claire, I love you like the sister I've never met and only know through postings on eGullet.

But you and I are both homes to numberless fungi that are part of what makes the body work. Fungi are fun. From cloud mushrooms to porcini to flower mushrooms to fairy ring mushrooms, fungi are everywhere.

And delicious.

And nutritious.

Were there to be a war between the mushroom eating people and the raisin eaters, you'd be outnumbered by billions.

So we'll not be disrespecting the fungi.

Sorry Babe-o-rama,

But a plant that grows out of a pile of @#$#*%(#% ain't my cup-o-tea.

Aside from that, the texture is just nasty. Raisins are chewy, sweet and fresh tasting. Mushrooms are slippery, rubbery and taste like socks smell -- but the anti-mushroom thread will have to go somewhere else.

This is RAISIN country here. Go raisins! Go!

Edited by claire797 (log)

Raisins are chewy, sweet and fresh tasting.

??? Fresh? But they're dried out, withered, dead grapes.

Yes, sweet. Much of the problem.

edit:

Took out:

That and and having a texture like a scab.

edit:

Where are you getting your mushrooms? I've never seen any grown in random keystrokes. Mostly harvested from soil under trees.

Edited by Jinmyo (log)

Where are you getting your mushrooms? I've never seen any grown in random keystrokes. Mostly harvested from soil under trees.

But, wow! Just think! If you could grow things in typos, the Internet would be the greatest source of fertilizer ever! My emails alone could feed my herbs forevermore. :blink:

edit: I am not unaware of the implications of Internet = fertilizer. I'm just not going there.

Edited by fimbul (log)

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

But, wow! Just think! If you could grow things in typos, the Internet would be the greatest source of fertilizer ever!

I could feed a third world country.

In Catalan cooking raisins are an essential in a number of vegetable dishes , including stirred into sauteed spinach with pine nuts......yum :biggrin:

Yeah, I had this in Barcelona and have been whipping it up ever since. Super tasty and simple.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

• 3 years later...