• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

See Wee Restaurant

Varmint

Lots of folks have posted about high end Charleston restaurants, but there's a fine, off the main drag place that does a great job of traditional Southern cooking. See Wee Restaurant is in Awendaw, SC, just a few minutes north of Mt. Pleasant on Highway 17. This is a very family friendly place that looks like an old country story/fish house. Sodas are served in glass bottles, seafood is fresh, collards are cooked perfectly, red rice is loaded with sausage, and the desserts (over 10 different ones each day) are baked daily by local church ladies. We sampled 6 different desserts, and with the exception of the surprisingly dry coconut cake, all were winners. Oh, and to go to the bathroom, you do have to go outside first.

Here's a photo of L'il Varmint #3 with some liquid refreshment:

fc699410.jpg

If you're staying in Charleston, I doubt you'd ever get this far north. But if you're driving through, or headed to Bull Island, it's really quite a nice, simple diversion.

Edited by Varmint (log)

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

cute kid!  He doesnt look like a varmint!  :smile:

And that's a good thing, too! We're not sure who he looks like, as both Mrs. Varmint and I have very brown eyes. When he was born, my mother-in-law said, "I didn't know there are still milkmen!"

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

any pics of the food...I wanna see the collard greens

The pics are on an analog camera and would need to be scanned in. I'm not home, so it'll be awhile to do that. Collards are pretty damned ordinary in these parts, Brig! Good, but common.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

A Li'l Varmint! Guzzling Orange Nehi, at that! Oh my! :huh:

Cute kid. I love restaurants like See Wee. Sounds a lot like ye olde Fran's Front Porch in Jillian, NC.