• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy cheese

chopjwu12

Someone was telling me about a cheese that they learned about from france. Something about it having maggots in it or something. Its supposed to be like the worst smelling cheese on the planet. Is there any truth to this or was he just pulling my leg? Im goign to do some research to find out if its true but please if anyone knows what im talking about please let me know.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

i have heard that about cabralesbut i also heard it was a myth like the post sais but it can be true.

The sardinian cheese could be the one im talking about but i came across one that is said to be from corsica. but i couldn't find any other info on it.

'brought to the table with mites and maggots round it so thick, they bring a spoon with them to eat the mites with'.

This is Daniel Defoe describing Stilton served at the 'Bell Inn', from where the fame of Stilton spread.

Now I have heard of a French cheese that is rind washed with the cloth that has recently been used to clean a ladies, um, genitals. Has anybody heard of this? Almost impossible to do a google search on the topic. Kind of makes sense, vaginal tract is full of lactic acid bacteria, same as in yogurt, so I guess it may give a cheese a tangy flavour.

And I was thinking there was no such thing as gross food. :unsure:

I did once find a maggot in a soft French cheese - a St Marcellin I thin - which I had left out of the refrigerator on a warm day. I presumed that was a very bad thing and threw the cheese away. Should I have relished it as a delicacy?

P.S. Yes, I would advise doing any kind of search using those sorts of terms, Adam. :blink:

Edited by Wilfrid (log)

I've never heard of any of these strange cheeses.... must be living in the wrong place...

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog