• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Three rums to bring back from Chicago

Kristian

I'm going to Chicago for a confenrence in late April and I'd like to bring back some premium rums from that trip as well. In another thread (Rum specialy shops in USA), Dan Smith gave the names of these two shops in Chicago: Binney's Beverage Depot and Sam’s Wines & Spirits.

I only found Sam's listing of rums on the net and its here

Given the import limits to Finland, I can only bring back three or four bottles (depends on how many of my fellow travellers are willing to bring back bottles for me), so I ask you to give me pointers onto which premium rums I should, at least, consider.

So, which three rums would you choose? Prices should be around 40 dollars (not too much higher)

I'm considering these, at least:

Appleton 21 yr old

Cadenheads "Green Label" 9 yr old

Doorleys XO

Montecristo Rum

Mount Gay "Extra Old"

Did I miss any good ones, or did I include bad ones? And for those who know Binney's, do they have some rums that I should definitely go to see?

(I already have access to Ron Matusalem and Havana Club, and last year, I brought back Cruzan Single Barrel from New Orleans, so I will not be buying those. .)

Hei Kristian,

The list you have comprised is indeed quite a nice selection of various excellent rums. I have tasted all but the MonteCristo, and here's a few opinions / personal preferences:

Appleton 21 yo - excellent flagship rum from Appleton Estates of Jamaica. The 21 yo is dry, towards full-bodied (I would say full-bodied but to some more used to other Jamaican rums or Demerara it represents only medium-bodied style), full of flavours, some definite wood notes towards the end. Some of my associates who had the chance to taste the 12 year old and this actually felt that the 12 yo is better value / money. Admittedly it is good, but I am willing to pay for that extra taste and enjoy the woodiness & dryness.

Cadenhead 9 yo green label - Cadenheads rums, some of which are actually available in Helsinki in a few bars (Hotel Torni's American bar at least) are all good, but in my opinion overpriced. I was debating this when visiting Cadenhead's / Springbanks' in Campbeltown - obviously they release small batches only and bottling with their old-fashioned methods etc. costs money, but still. What also surprises me is how high the alcohol contents are in some of the oldest bottlings they have released - after 31 years in a cask, the stuff is still bottled at 74% alcohol..??!

Doorley's XO - very smooth, pleasant "rum" flavours, rich and intense, sweet but dry aftertaste. Luxorious.

Mount Gay extra old - recently saw it being offered for sale even at Helsinki-Vantaa airport in taxfree. A very good intro to the rums of Barbados. Dry, slightly smoky, some wood but oh so delightful to sip. EXCELLENT price vs. quality. It would be interesting to compare it side-to-side with Cockspur's VSOR, but unfortunately I have not been able to get the latter in Europe at all.

Apart from what you mention, I would also recommend at least trying the El Dorado 15 yo Special Reserve. Chosen several times as the winner in many, many international competitions, this dark and rich, almost brandy-like flavours carrying rum is an experience not to miss. Pampero Anniversario from Venezuela is also extremely pleasant rum which seems to truly benefit (especially the nose) from some exposure to air - every newly-opened bottle I have had has a somewhat "chemical" scent at first (and tastes slightly off also) - give it 10 minutes in a glass, and it is much improved.

Sam's seems to have anumber of other excellent rums available, amazing selection for us living in the "3rd world" of rums here in Northern Europe!! Zacapa Centenario is excellent, so are many of the Bristol Spirits Classic rums...

Br,

Mika

mika.jansson@nokia.com

I only found Sam's listing of rums on the net and its here

Sam's selection in the store is much bigger than on-line for most things. You'll have fun there.

Here's a link to Binny's

http://binnys.com/scr/spirits_search.cfm?f...ilename=spirits

The best Binny's, of the ones I've been to, is the one at 3000 N. Clark

Edited by guajolote (log)

I'd add Ron Zacapa Centenario and El Dorado Special Reserve to the list unless you can get them at home.

In regards to Cadenhead overproof aged rums, I'd buy a bottle of their 30 year old which was bottled at about 74% alcohol as I remember. It was pricey but it was the smoothest overproof rums I've had the pleasure of drinking. I found it at the Artful Dodger Bar on the near north side of Chicago.

Definitely check Binneys on N Clark, but you owe it to yourself to also see Sam's and they are only about ten minutes from each other. Got to love the Windy City, wish I was going to be there to meet you but I have to stay a few more months in the islands.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

Mount Gay extra old - recently saw it being offered for sale even at Helsinki-Vantaa airport in taxfree. A very good intro to the rums of Barbados. Dry, slightly smoky, some wood but oh so delightful to sip. EXCELLENT price vs. quality.  It would be interesting to compare it side-to-side with Cockspur's VSOR, but unfortunately I have not been able to get the latter in Europe at all.

Mika,

Did you see my earlier thread? Mount Gay XO is far better than the VSOR and I really would not go too far out of the way to get some VSOR. I would offer to post you a sample from the bottle I have but realise that this is a little strange!

Had Cadenhead's 10yo rum last week, and was a little disappointed by it. Lovely nose but a little thin. Having said that I did taste it after 5 hours of whisky tasting!

Hello all,

ctgm - Yes I did saw your post, after making my initial post. I must admit, I am very very curious to taste the Cockspurs VSOR, but as I enjoy sharing & arranging tastings here in Finland, I would like very much to find finally a source from where to get a full bottle of this rum. I fully respect what you are saying, but curiosity presses me to find this rum. Next time I am off to Trinidad hopefully I will find it there in some shop.

Ed Hamilton - I agree, the Cadenhead's rums I have tasted have all been quite good, if not remarkably so. The quality is not an issue really - rather the price asked for them. They are more expensive in Europe than most / any "super-premium" rums others bottle - and yet, as good as they are, I did not find them exceptional in comparison to other superb products. What I am wondering is also - did they originally purchase the rum at what strength, to still have such a high alcohol content after so many years? Obviously must all be column-distilled at least? The amount of information Cadenhead's is willing to release regarding the rums is not very much, sadly. Having said that, I have the highest respect for both Springbank and Cadenhead's, they are small companies deeply rooted in tradition and values if compared to many modern corporate giants, even in the world of fine spirits.

Sincerely,

Mika

mika.jansson@nokia.com

Thank you for your great tips, everyone! I'll definitely add Ron Zacapa Centenario and El Dorado Special Reserve onto my list. I must have missed them on the price list... And if they really have a larger selection in the store than shows on their web page, I'll be in heaven... As well as faced by even more difficult choice of what to buy...

Mika: It's great to see another Finn on the rum forum! There are simply too few of us rummies in Finland, but perhaps our numbers will grow...

And Ed: Even though it would be great to see you, I'll let you continue your search on the islands... :smile:

Hi Kristian,

I hope that one day our numbers shall indeed equal those of people interested in Malt Whisky (and the two, rum & whisky, certainly do not exclude each other in any way).

Rum has truly been the underdog of fine spirits here in the North for quite a while now; I have however strong belief in the fact that as people become increasingly quality-conscious these days, more consumers shall eventually venture out of the familiar bounds of their palates and seek out new high-quality products to add to their bar selection. I have had some professionals in a few tastings of rum in last few years and the results have been very promising, they were simply amazed at the variety rum can offer. At the moment they are still a bit hesitant to add too many fine rums to their bar's selections, as it boils down to not enough consumers buying the products.

It is a bit of a chicken & the egg situation: Since most people haven't been exposed to great rums, they do not know to buy them even if they are present - and because the demand is so low, the bars do not wish to invest heavily into having rums present. Uurgh! What's one to do but try and try to educate people..Personally I have enjoyed good rums since first tasting some in the late 80's.

Mika J

mika.jansson@nokia.com

Kristian,

Sam's should definitely be your first stop. Their rum selection blows Binny's out of the water. I would guess something like 100+ types vs. 40 at Binny's, who seem to keep phasing out good rums in favor of Malibu or other flavored rums. Sam's will have several versions of Cadenheads beyond what is listed on the web site.

• 2 weeks later...
Definitely check Binneys on N Clark, but you owe it to yourself to also see Sam's and they are only about ten minutes from each other.

Is that pedestrian's ten minutes or cab driver's ten minutes? If pedestrian's I'll prolly have a go at both of those stores.

This is priving to be a good spring... I just got a fresh bottle of Havana Club Anejo Reserva and the thought of browsing through dozens of brands in Sam's and Binneys... :cool:

BTW: Any hope of finding good rum selections at either Sheraton or Hyatt?

• 4 weeks later...

Ah, the confenrence is over and done with and I'm back in Finland (and suffering from a hard case of jet lag, so excuse me for the typos and certain jumpiness of this message). I ended up at Binny's on the third day (last Tuesday) and bought two rums to bring back home (instead of the three that I originally planned for).

Now these two rums are awaiting for the day when I'll be able to open one of them. I guess the first possible chance is my own birthday on the 12th of May...

Ah, and before I collapse on my keyboard, I have to remember to mention the names of the rums:

Doorley's XO and El Dorado Special Reserve.

The criteria for the choice was the rather on-the-spot realisation that the bottles looked kinda cool... :rolleyes:

Well, I had to leave many great rums behind, but will get back to acquiring them on my next trip overseas. One must leave something for the next time...