• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

chicken fried steak

torakris

I don't think I really understand this dish. Especially the milk gravy. Can citrus fit in here anywhere to cut the glueyness?

Some of the fancier dining establshments in Texas do incorporate citrus into their chicken fried steak presentation. They take a single slice of an orange, make an incision from the center to the edge, and twist it into a neat little garnish. It goes on the plate right next to the sprig of curly leaf parsley.

Seriously, though, the only thing that flavors an authetic cfs cream gravy is lots of black pepper.

[Edit] And you don't know the meaning of gluey until you've had the leftover gravy the next morning, warmed up and poured over a couple of biscuits.

Edited by vengroff (log)

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

Well then, I'd rather have the frim fram sauce with the Ausen fay with chafafa on the side. But that's just me. I'm sure it has its glories.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I don't think I really understand this dish. Especially the milk gravy. Can citrus fit in here anywhere to cut the glueyness?

Hot sauce is served on the table as a condiment. :wink:

Oh, that helps.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM