• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shrove Tuesday

Miss J

*nudges thread gently*

so... with demands for pancakes ringing in my ears, I ask you, what do you eat on yours?

My grandfather liked big, heavy pancakes. He'd eat one stack with butter and maple syrup, and then have another with sugar and (heavy) cream poured over!

Especially good with blueberry pancakes!

In Iceland this is Bun day they are cream puffs and after children whack their parents with homemade fairy wands they get to eat as many buns as they gave their parents whacks......

I dunno I do like Iceland....and cream puffs, and pancakes too but for our treat at work that day I used canned pilsbury dough rolled out thin to make donuts in the deep fryer....mmmm fried stuff with sugar

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

• 1 year later...

The traditional Austrian treat for the "Fasching" or Carnivale season (the period between Epiphany on Jan 6 and Ash Wednesday) and including Shrove or Fat Tuesday are "Faschingkrapfen".

They are delicous fried, yeasted doughnuts that have a very light texture. The batter has rum and lemon rind in it, which along with frying in the traditional lard, gives it a wonderful and unique taste. (Also good very good when fried in vegetable oil.)

They are shallow fried so that you have a tell-tale paler ring around the circumference of the round fritter. They are topped with vanilla powdered sugar, are delicious eaten warm and can be filled with apricot preserves. I wish I had time to make them today!

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Its Shrove Tuesday again...

Traditional thin crepes for me, with lemon and brown sugar. Maybe chocolate Maybe homemade jam..or  Grand Marnier  or all in turn

Might just do potato pancakes as well...

As already mentioned few posts back, then in Nordic countries we eat cardamom-scented and cream-filled lenten buns instead of pancakes. I made a batch earlier:

vastlakuklid.jpg

Used lingonberry jam to flavour some of the cream - that explains the slightly pink buns on the front.

Very yummy :smile:

Try these.

BEER PANCAKES.

2 cups of sifted self raising flour

1/2 cup sugar

2 cups of beer (room temp)

1/4 cup melted butter

2 large eggs

pinch salt.

Method:

Mix flour, sugar and salt together in large bowl until well combined.

Beat eggs and yolk together, then add melted butter and beat again briefly. Add beer and stir until mixed in.

Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients. Using a whisk, mix together until lumps are gone. Don't mix until smooth. Overmixing makes for tough pancakes.

Heat heavy based fry pan on low heat. Too hot and you'll burn the little buggers. When hot, grease with an oil dampened piece of kitchen paper.

Pour in batter until you get about a 6" circle. When the bubbles rise and burst and the hole doesnt fill in again, turn them. Just use the "turner" to check under them to make sure they are that light golden colour before turning them.

Kind regards

Bill

As already mentioned few posts back, then in Nordic countries we eat cardamom-scented and cream-filled lenten buns instead of pancakes. I made a batch earlier:

vastlakuklid.jpg

Used lingonberry jam to flavour some of the cream - that explains the slightly pink buns on the front.

Very yummy  :smile:

These look so great, Pille; thanks for posting the photos. Dare I hope that the recipe will be on your blog??? :smile:

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

The traditional Austrian treat for the "Fasching" or Carnivale season (the period between Epiphany on Jan 6 and Ash Wednesday) and including Shrove or Fat Tuesday are "Faschingkrapfen". 

They are delicous fried, yeasted doughnuts that have a very light texture.  The batter has rum and lemon rind in it, which along with frying in the traditional lard, gives it a wonderful and unique taste.  (Also good very good when fried in vegetable oil.) 

They are shallow fried so that you have a tell-tale paler ring around the circumference of the round fritter.  They are topped with vanilla powdered sugar, are delicious eaten warm and can be filled with apricot preserves.  I wish I had time to make them today!

Here is a link to a photo of Faschingkrapfen that I found: click

edited to add:

Looking at some photos and recipes on-line, the German Berliner Pfannkuchen looks to be the equivalent of the Austrian Faschingkrapfen. This link has a recipe.

Edited by ludja (log)

I was in England last year, and we had pancakes for Shrove Tuesday - I had never heard of the tradition. My host served them with lemon and sugar, and cooked them straight on the hob of the Aga - way cool!

So I looked up an English traditional Ash Wednesday feast, and did the cooking the next day. Cod with lemon butter on parslied carrots, and mashed parsnips on the side. Made a simnel cake for pudding, which went well despite the toasted marzipan balls (which were supposed to represent the apostles) melting into little splats! :shock: They rolled up again, thank goodness. No one was the wiser.

• 11 months later...

Bump...

For the first time in acouple of years we will be having our pancake supper at home instead of church on Shrove Tuesday. The menu: buttermilk pancakes with syrup or some blackcurrant jam, served with bacon, sausages, and fresh fruit.

Edited by hjshorter (log)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I'll toss in an interesting migration of the tradition. In the far southwestern corner of our state is the town of Liberal, Kansas (yes, it is considered an oxymoron by many :wink:). Here is a history of how the ladies of Liberal compete with those of Olney each Shrove Tuesday. It's a small world.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

• 5 years later...

I'm bumping this topic up to remind everyone to get out their favorite pancake/flapjack/griddle cake &etc., recipes and dust them off for tomorrow, February 21.

I'm going to make a batch of Great Grammaw Sweeney's griddle cakes and a batch of crepes because I am hosting my book club for brunch.

Today I am grinding meats for sausage patties and cooking some apples with cranberries for a compote to go with the griddle cakes.

Anyone else have a favorite recipe they prepare for Shrove Tuesday?

"National Pancake Day" will be celebrated at IHOP next Tuesday, February 28. Where a free short stack of buttermilk pancakes will be offered.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett