• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant 2117

carpet bagger

:biggrin: My wife and I had dinner at Restaurant 2117 last nite. Been there many times and want to recommend it very highly. Hideo is Japanese but his style is Cal/ Pacific rim with French sauces. My wife had the airplane chicken, if that is what it is I want to know which airline. Great brown sauce, rich and balanced, a wine reduction. I had the quail stuffed with sweetbreads in a port wine reduction. Absolutely to die for. He knows how to cook the sweetbreads to the right texture and consistancy. Not too dry, perfect moisture, I don't know the words to describe the feeling I'm left with from this dish. I then had the veal chop, also cooked to perfection, medium rare really. I wont mention the name of the restaurant from the night before that over cooked then under cooked the steak. Only made me appreciate Hideo that much more. On his menu I would say if it sounds good to you it will be. The address is 2117 Sawtelle Blvd Los Angeles. 310-477 1617. If you get know Hideo he is more than willing to prepare special dishes with enough notice. He is very tallented and will do things for you with pride. I am not related to him but I love his food and style.

" Food and Wine Fanatic"

Tissue another similar and delicious restaurant is Bistro 21 on La Cienega just 2 blocks south of Santa Monica Blvd.(east side) 310-967-0021. Also a Japanese chef that cooks California/ Pacific rim with French sauces. His specials are often one of a kind things from unusual places. One night I had a clam item from a shell long and thin approximately 1-1/12 in diameter. He said it came from back east. It was absolutely scrumptious and I wish he would have it again. He does a lamb shank that it wonderfully moist and unlike some that I have had where they were made days before, is delicious. His sauces are very complex and you want more and more. He does a floating island desert, egg white in a Creme Anglaise, I really enjoyed. They do allow one to bring your own wine $15.00 corkage and though a little slow they treat your wine with proper respect. They can be a little slow in the service but they are so caring and friendly that I don't care. Besides the food is delicious. :biggrin:

" Food and Wine Fanatic"