• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Adding stuff to eggs when scrambling

Fat Guy

indiagirl Posted on Feb 20 2003, 08:49 PM

(onions, tomatoes and chillies would be egg bhurji, an indian dish)

CooksQuest

Posted: Feb 20 2003, 11:25 AM

This was a method taught to me by a friend from Spain who makes a wicked spanish potato omelet.
Jaymes

Posted: Feb 20 2003, 11:52 AM

QUOTE (Kobicook @ Feb 20 2003, 12:50 PM)

...But once in a while I add finely diced onions, tomatoes and green chiles. Then just as they are about to be done, fold in some crisp homemade tortilla chips. The idea is to get some soft and some crispy chips in each bite. Topped with cilantro and may be some cheese, they are heaven.

Migas.

Jaymes Posted on Feb 20 2003, 12:01 PM

Well - I DID go on at some length in the other "scrambled egg" thread about chili & eggs, so

Ethnic scrambled eggs? Should that be another thread, or has there been one already that Jaymes alludes to that I can't find?

The most interesting parts of this thread are the various eclectic and inventive spellings of 'Worcestershire sauce'.

wars-to-shore

Edited by lissome (log)

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

I like to put in sliced American cheese--Land O' Lakes from the deli counter. Crack eggs, beat in bowl, add torn-up pieces of cheese (approx. one slice per two eggs), then scramble. It's the very first thing I ever learned how to cook and it's still a favorite.

At the moment my favorite scrambled eggs: well whipped with a smidge of cream or half and half, salt, pepper. Then cooked very very very slowly in a panful of butter stirred continuously, as you lift and lower the pan from the flame to keep it from finishing too quickly. Meanwhile, the toast cooks on an iron griddle promising echoes of toasting bread atop an iron stove in the corner of a cold Tuscan villa.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

Huh, I never knew you were not supposed to add liquid.  I usually add a splash of milk-- I always thought it helped it get whipped better.  My mother adds a dash of Wortchershire (sp) sauce to scrambled eggs and omelets.

I love cilantro and or parmesean cheese in my eggs.

Thai peppers, red onions, cilantro and some toasted cumin is great for me.

In fact my father made me make some the other day.

He ate only a tablespoon of it... but what was very happy eating that amount. Said it made him get an appetite.

When I was a young boy in India and I made ande kee bhujiya/khagnee (scrambled eggs), I would add a little milk.

But cilantro and green chiles and cayenne make me most happy.

a touch of water and milk, is what i add. generous amounts of butter. melted on a pretty high flame. add the eggs and let them sit (with steam escaping) for a few before i gently stir - when i see the curds, i stir a little more. until they look ummm. ....scrambled.

grate some sharpish cheese on top. and cilantro. and tons of freshly ground black pepper.

it's rare for me, though. i'm an ingredient maven (my greatest failing) and so i invariably add other stuff:

onions/scallions etc

cilantro

cheese, etc - a touch of feta or gorgonzola is excellent

poblano

green chillies

tomatoes

(onions, tomatoes and chillies would be egg bhurji, an indian dish)

I am hungry.... I want some Bhujiya (scrambled eggs now...). :rolleyes: