• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Doggie Bags

Rosie

I wonder if someone is more likely to do (b) three times a week than (a)?

I bet the average american goes out for a steak dinner like that about as often as the average European goes out for a 2 star dinner given my experience with each. I would say about once per month each. Maybe twice.

It doesn't really matter at all, but it's mathematically implausible in the extreme that the "average" European, by any obvious definition could eat at a Michelin 2 star twice a month. Aren't enough Michelin 2 stars to even begin to cope.

Funny, but someone called me a pedant last night.

Edited by Wilfrid (log)

It doesn't really matter at all, but it's mathematically implausible in the extreme that the "average" European, by any obvious definition could eat at a Michelin 2 star twice a month.  Aren't enough Michelin 2 stars to even begin to cope.

Funny, but someone called me a pedant last night.

I think we have our answer then!

Americans are fatter because Europeans do not have enough restaurants to go around. :wink:

another classic thread of people passing judgment and saying things without really saying them.

Oh, all right then.

Americans are obese vulgarians with no culture.

To quote Otto (ah-toe) as portrayed by Kevin Kline in A Fish Called Wanda:

"You're the VULgarian, you FUCK!!"

Carry on. :wink:

It may be "off topic" at this point, but...

Americans spend about 50% of their food dollars on food eaten outside the home...fast food, restaurants, to-go, etc.

It is generally accepted that the two largest contributing factors to the increase in obesity in the US in larger portion sizes (Supersizing of sodas, french fries, and restaurant meals) and lack of excersise (thanks to videos, internet...ehem...and other passive liesure time activities)

OK, sorry for the interuption-- resume your generalizations and cursing.

Americans spend about 50% of their food dollars on food eaten outside the home...fast food, restaurants, to-go, etc.

and let us not make the foolish mistake of thinking that means that americans eat half of their meals outside the home.

It is generally accepted

by whom? oh, the study you read? i read another one that said something different.

ok, back to generalizations. i'll add another: my country is better than yours.

Edited by tommy (log)

I bet the average american goes out for a steak dinner like that about as often as the average European goes out for a 2 star dinner given my experience with each.  I would say about once per month each.  Maybe twice.

Ron, can I move to your Europe?

It is generally accepted

by whom? oh, the study you read? i read another one that said something different.

The Harvard Health Letter and the American Institute for Cancer Research were recently quoted in this piece

You'll see that the article talks about how Americans spend 46% of their food dollars on meals outside the home, which includes to-go and prepared foods brought into the home.

But Tommy it's been all over the media--the cover of major weekly news magazines, newspapers, etc. This link is but one recent report.

edited to add a second link.

IFIC article providing background on overweight/obesity.

Edited by Nockerl (log)

My intention was not to make a sweeping "all american's are fat" generalisation and if that is how it came across I apologise. My post says that a) US has one of the highest obesty levels on the world - fact , b) that the portions of food in the US are large - fact. If that is a result of 'rampant, healthy, hearty and wildly enthusiastic capitalism' then so be it, but my stance has probably been passed down to me from the rationing of post war days - it just seems wasteful. I think doggie bags are a great idea, at least the food isn't going to waste but I do have a problem with montains of food being served 'just because we can' and then being thrown away.

But I know that I speak for the entire U.S.A. when I tell you how much we appreciate your sharing with us your helpful insight and advice into the way we prefer to do things.

Thanks Jaymes, it's good to know that I can freely express my opinion on this site and have you respond on behalf of 250m people.

You'll see that the article talks about how Americans spend 46% of their food dollars on meals outside the home, which includes to-go and prepared foods brought into the home.

i didn't doubt that a study said this. but don't think that this equates to 46% of meals eaten out of the home, or to-go, or take-out (away).

But Tommy it's been all over the media--the cover of major weekly news magazines, newspapers, etc. This link is but one recent report.

that doesn't mean that "It is generally accepted that the two largest contributing factors to the increase in obesity in the US in larger portion sizes (Supersizing of sodas, french fries, and restaurant meals) and lack of excersis."

what the above quote says is that people get fat because they eat too much and don't exercise. it doesn't say "people get fat because restaurants' portions are too big." there's a distinct difference there, and one which is important to this dicussion, if one thinks this discussion is important. :wacko:

Edited by tommy (log)

..., but my stance has probably been passed down to me from the rationing of post war days - it just seems wasteful.

charlene, i see that you've mentioned "waste" several times in your posts. that is indeed a fine issue with which to be concerned. but i don't see how it fits very neatly into a thread that is essentially about taking food home and (hopefully) eating it later. i don't like wasting food either. this would indeed be an interesting thread, as i don't think there has been much discussion on it. (although it's another one of those threads where people will no doubt get on soapboxes. i love that shit, i think i start it...)