• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ochazuke

tissue

ochazuke= a bowl of rice over which hot tea is poured and then consumed (as fast as possible :biggrin: )embellishments can vary from shredded seaweed to ahndful of sea urchin and everything in between.

This is daughter #1's favorite breakfast.

I usually prepare a simple version for myself with either umeboshi ( pickled plums) or mentaiko (spicy cod roe?)

My husband makes his with salmon flakes, umeboshi and wasabi (Japanese green horseradish)

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

This is rice with ocha (green tea) poured over to end a meal. I didn't know any restaurants specialized in this. It's like wiping a plate with a piece of bread to catch leftover gravy.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

There are also little packets that you can buy in Japanese markets for ochazuke. They usually contain, dried salmon flakes, nori, sesame seeds, etc. Very yummy on your rice with the tea poured over it.

You've set me craving now... I might have to stop at the Japanese store on the way home and have that for dinner.

Akiko, what's that stuff called? I usually just refer to them as "sprinkles".

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Funny,

Sprinkles is what my niece calls Furikake, but what I'm talking about is not furikake.

I think, the packet actually says, Ochazuke... I've never stopped to read it (one of those things, just always been part of your life, you never really look at it) but I am familiar with only one brand. It is in a striped packet, red, yellow, and black.

It's different from Furikake in that its specifically made to be added to rice and tea... the packet is salty to give tea and rice flavor and the crunchy bits stay crunchy in tea (at least for a little while).

Jinmyo are we talking about the same thing?

Akiko

Akiko, no I think not. I must mean furikake. I haven't purchased any in years but make my own so don't bother looking at packages.

Funny,

Sprinkles is what my niece calls Furikake, but what I'm talking about is not furikake. 

I think, the packet actually says, Ochazuke... I've never stopped to read it (one of those things, just always been part of your life, you never really look at it) but I am familiar with only one brand.  It is in a striped packet, red, yellow, and black.

It's different from Furikake in that its specifically made to be added to rice and tea... the packet is salty to give tea and rice flavor and the crunchy bits stay crunchy in tea (at least for a little while).

Jinmyo are we talking about the same thing?

Akiko

This is what I have eaten many times when I was hungry in the middle of the night...

The packet with the colored stripes. I like the one with salmon and ume....

Here are some pictures of the popular products (available in the US) of both ochazuke and furikake.

You need to scroll down to the bottom of the page:

http://www.maruwa.com/onlineshop/pros_seas...oning_wafu.html

I just asked my husband what those packets of ochazuke seasoning are called, he tossed around a couple ideas then disagreed with everything and said they are just called ochazuke,nothing else.

• 11 months later...

This week's TV Champion was about ochazuke, they set out to find the best ochazuke maker (?) in Japan. They had to go through various stages were they were eliminated one by one, my favorite was the "mania" stage where they had to create ochazukes with cola, ketchup and wine, all separately of course!

Here are some scenes from the show:

http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/tvchamp/result/result.htm#3

just click wherever it says "click" to see pictures of teh food from that round.

Actually, there really are a few restaurants that specialize in ochazuke. Kind of trendy now. The one I've been to was more of a rice specialty place and featured a special brand of rice grown in the restuarants own paddy. They had teishoku-like set menus with a few side dishes, and onigiri could be substituted for the ochazuke. It was fantastic!

Rice dishes like ochazuke, onigiri and okayu (congee) have been really popular for the past few years, with restuarants and take-out shops that specialize them popping up here and there.

But I have no idea how a restuarant could specialize in ochazuke AND use all the parts of a chicken!

I'm pretty sure that those little packets are called 'ochazuke-no-moto'.

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus

• 2 months later...

I picked up a few packages of instant ochazuke. While they do have all the ingredients listed in English and French the instructions are only in Japanese, without any helpful pictograms.

The brand is Shirakiku and there are three packets weighing 5.3 grams each.

Does anyone know approximately how much water you mix with the packet?

Thanks.

100 to 150 cc of water will be enough. So, start with 100 cc, check the taste, and add more if it is too strong for you.

My ochazuke packets do not indicate the proper amount of water, either! How come?

I just pulled out my package of ochazuke and it says to add 180ml, the packets vary from 5.2 grams to 6.0 grams. I have never measured and i think I add quite a bit less, I like it on the strong side with lots of extra wasabi.....

the recent talk on instant ochazuke, made me crave it... :biggrin:

So yesterday for lunch

i5501.jpg

ochazuke with nowazana (type of green) ochazuke no moto (flavor packet) with some shibazuke pickles and wasabi

• 1 month later...

Has anyone else ever tried "ochazuke" with barley rather than rice? This morning I had an ochazuke craving, but had made pearled barley rather than rice. Had it with a wasabi-flavor packet of ochazuke seasoning and deem it very good.

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"

Has anyone else ever tried "ochazuke" with barley rather than rice? This morning I had an ochazuke craving, but had made pearled barley rather than rice. Had it with a wasabi-flavor packet of ochazuke seasoning and deem it very good.

I had it once with a mixture of th two, but never with just barley.

I just saw on tv a couple nights back this guy was making something he called soba ochazuke. He added the typical ochazuke toppings to some freshly boiled soba served in its boiling liquid....

hmm, my bother-in-law likes to pour sencha in w/ the last of his rice,

but i didn't know the japanese made a full plate out of it.

the "got ochazuke?" shirts look nice,and i would get him one,but,..

that would cut into his wearing of Nebraska t-shirts

:biggrin: GOBIGRED!

I was thinking though, genmaicha would make a nice broth for fish dish

maybe w/ a little broccolini, tastes good just thinking about cooking it.

b t

I had my first bowl this afternoon at a local tea house. It is cold, gray and rainy so it was a perfect meal for a lazy Saturday.

I have added a new comfort food to my repertoire. It was served with salmon and umeboshi. How perfectly wonderful. From reading the descriptions above I think it was topped with an ochazuke packet. Can't wait to make this on my own.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I was thinking though, genmaicha would make a nice broth for fish dish

maybe w/ a little broccolini, tastes good just thinking about cooking it.

That sounds good!

Welcome to the Japan Forum! :biggrin:

the recent talk on instant ochazuke, made me crave it... :biggrin:

So yesterday for lunch

i5501.jpg

ochazuke with nowazana (type of green) ochazuke no moto (flavor packet) with some shibazuke pickles and wasabi

This looks delicious!