• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Shel_B

Shel_B

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

[...] And why use smoked paprika instead of a chipotle or pasilla de Oaxaca for a smoky element?

[...]

I've been making Josef Centeno's 8-chile spice mix from his book, Amá for a number of years

@blue_dolphin ...Thanks for the mention of pasilla de Oaxaca.  That's new to me, and coincidentally, I've been looking for an alternative to Chipotle.  I found a couple of places online that sell the wgole, dried pods, and ordered some. There's a couple of dishes coming up where they'll be used.

I looked for Centeno's mix and came up with this:

https://www.texasmonthly.com/recipe/carne-guisada-josef-centeno/

That's only seven ... is there  a different mix that you're referencing?

And a pet peeve: when a recipe calls for chili powder and doesn't mention the ingredient(s)

• 2 ancho chiles
  • 1 serrano chile, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
  • 1 tablespoon dried Mexican oregano, preferably Oregano Indio
  •  teaspoons cumin seeds
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 fresh bay leaf, or 2 dried
  • Fresh black pepper
Shel_B

Shel_B

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

[...] And why use smoked paprika instead of a chipotle or pasilla de Oaxaca for a smoky element? [...]

I've been making Josef Centeno's 8-chile spice mix from his book, Amá for a number of years

@blue_dolphin ...Thanks for the mention of pasilla de Oaxaca.  That's new to me, and coincidentally, I've been looking for an alternative to Chipotle.  I found a couple of places online that sell the wgole, dried pods, and ordered some. There's a couple of dishes coming up where they'll be used.

I looked for Centeno's mix and came up with this:

https://www.texasmonthly.com/recipe/carne-guisada-josef-centeno/

That's only seven ... is there  a different mix that you're referencing?

And a pet peeve: when a recipe calls for chili powder and doesn't mention the ingredient(s)

• 2 ancho chiles
  • 1 serrano chile, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
  • 1 tablespoon dried Mexican oregano, preferably Oregano Indio
  •  teaspoons cumin seeds
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 fresh bay leaf, or 2 dried
  • Fresh black pepper