• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

IndyRob

IndyRob

I was making a Gyro for lunch today and just needed a few slices of fresh onion.  So I just cut off a bit of a medium sized onion and then used the ol' FoodSaver to seal it back up.  After about 9 hours now (at room temp), I must say, it still looks pretty pristine.

In anticipation of this. I looked at the interwebs and most of the advice was to saran-wrap it and put it in the fridge - but never to treat it as fresh from that point on.

Surely I'm not the first person to try this.  Is this bad?  Dangerous?

IndyRob

IndyRob

I was making a Gyro for lunch today and just needed a few slices of fresh onion.  So I just cut off a bit of a medium sized onion and then used the ol' FoodSaver to seal it back up.  After about 9 hours now (at rppm temp), I must say, it still looks pretty pristine.

In anticipation of this. I looked at the interwebs and most of the advice was to saran-wrap it and put it in the fridge - but never to treat it as fresh from that point on.

Surely I'm not the first person to try this.  Is this bad?  Dangerous?