• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cacao Berry Mi-Amère 58%

curls

I’m wondering if anyone here has worked with Cacao Barry Mi-Amère 58%. It is 3 drop fluidity chocolate. I’m wondering what it tastes like and if it would be good for shelling and ganaches. I’ve seen it at my local Restaurant Depot and it is priced well below the Valrhona I use. I don’t want to buy a 5kg/11 pound bag to try out this chocolate. Hoping to find it in smaller quantities.

All the talk about rising chocolate prices has me looking for some other potential chocolates.

3 hours ago, curls said:

I’m wondering if anyone here has worked with Cacao Barry Mi-Amère 58%. It is 3 drop fluidity chocolate. I’m wondering what it tastes like and if it would be good for shelling and ganaches. I’ve seen it at my local Restaurant Depot and it is priced well below the Valrhona I use. I don’t want to buy a 5kg/11 pound bag to try out this chocolate. Hoping to find it in smaller quantities.

All the talk about rising chocolate prices has me looking for some other potential chocolates.

I have not tasted it, but Chocosphere has it in a 1kg bag for $26.29.

5 hours ago, Jim D. said:

I have not tasted it, but Chocosphere has it in a 1kg bag for $26.29.

Thank you! 1kg is a much better trial size!

I've used it. It's very good though I wouldn't shell with it. To me it has a strong cocoa flavor with quite a bit of citrus and tastes plant like with an almost powdery finish. That said I used it for a hot cocoa bonbon that was delicious and it definitely pairs well with cinnamon.