• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Duvel

Duvel

33 minutes ago, Shel_B said:

If you enjoy egg salad, have you tried the Japanese"7-Eleven" egg salad sando.  There are a few variations floating around. Ideally, it's made with Japanese milk bread (Shokupan), but I can't easily find good samples and so have taken to using challah.  The egg-y challah seems to go very well with the egg salad mixture.

Oh dear … that’s an ambitious target. Shokupan of course, crustless. The egg salad is tricky: there is an excess of yolk, plenty of kewpie and - from sources I trust - a drop of fish sauce (I know no one believes me, but the closest I’ve ever gotten was with fish sauce). Anyway, as much as I’d like to I am still those last 5% away from the iconic original (of which I had a looooooot) …

Duvel

Duvel

25 minutes ago, Shel_B said:

If you enjoy egg salad, have you tried the Japanese"7-Eleven" egg salad sando.  There are a few variations floating around. Ideally, it's made with Japanese milk bread (Shokupan), but I can't easily find good samples and so have taken to using challah.  The egg-y challah seems to go very well with the egg salad mixture.

Oh dear … that’s an ambitious target. Shokupan of course, crustless. The egg salad is tricky: there is an excess of yolk, plenty of kewpie and - from sources I trust - a drop of fish sauce (I know no one believes me, but the closest I’ve gotten was with fish sauce. Anyway, as much as I’d like to I am still those last 5% from the original (of which I had a looooooot) …