• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Deephaven

Deephaven

11 hours ago, liuzhou said:

In China 'light soy sauce' is the norm, too. Low sodium sauce is clearly marked as such.

As I stated above; however, to make sure we don't confuse the OP I will repeat it.  In Japanese recipes dark soy = normal, is no label of dark.  Light soy however is labelled.  Dark Japanese soy is more akin to light Chinese than dark.  It is different but that substitution is way better than subbing Chinese dark .

Personally I never sub Chinese for Japanese products nor Thai or others.  So many great soy sauces you should have them all.

Deephaven

Deephaven

11 hours ago, liuzhou said:

In China 'light soy sauce' is the norm, too. Low sodium sauce is clearly marked as such.

As I stated above; however, to make sure we don't confuse the OP I will repeat it.  In Japanese recipes dark soy = normal, is no label of dark.  Light soy however is labelled.  Dark Japanese soy is more akin to light Chinese than dark.  It is different but that substitution is way better than subbing Chinese dark .