• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

MetsFan5

MetsFan5

I personally haven’t dealt with any eating disorder, however I think maybe disordered eating may be an issue. 

I would never dream of taking the last serving of anything shared— whether with immediate family for a holiday or with friends at a happy hour.  Even just with my former spouse I would defer and let him choose which steak or let him serve himself then take a smaller portion so there would be a second helping for him. 

Buffets can be intimidating. Some situations are anxiety inducing (large family events, or even dates, lunching out with coworkers) and I hate wasting food but have yet to find a buffet other than family events I’ve enjoyed. 

Obviously I’m over thinking things. I also think in some form, the whole “women are dainty eaters” concept comes into play.

I suppose my question is, do others also enjoy the dining experience, whether at home or not, less or more due to the environment and circumstances the way I do? 

MetsFan5

MetsFan5

I personally haven’t dealt with any eating disorder, however I think maybe disordered eating may be an issue. 

I would never dream of taking the last serving of anything shared— whether with immediate family for a holiday or with friends at a happy hour. 

Buffets can be intimidating. Some situations are anxiety inducing (large family events, or even dates, lunching out with coworkers) and I hate wasting food but have yet to find a buffet other than family events I’ve enjoyed. 

Obviously I’m over thinking things. I also think in some form, the whole “women are dainty eaters” concept comes into play.

I suppose my question is, do others also enjoy the dining experience, whether at home or not, less or more due to the environment and circumstances the way I do?