• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bula

dmole

I've never posted before but my husband and I Went to Bula in Newton NJ

tonight. I started thinking about it because I haven't been lately and I got

worried because I don't want it to go under. It was wonderful. It reminds

us of a restaurant in the city. Narrow with high ceilings. Kind of quirky.

BYOB. Tonight we each had a salad. My salad had greens and matchstick

apples slices and champagne vinaigrette with crumbled blue cheese and

candied walnuts. The walnuts were addictive. For dinner, my husband had the bulkogi beef. It came with an Asian sauce and rice and was wonderful. I had the chicken paillard over gorgonzola risotta. The chicken had bacon lardons on top and was wonderful. For dessert my husband had apple crumble which came with vanilla ice cream. What was nice was the apple crumble was in its own dish so that the crumble didn't melt the ice cream. I had flourless chocolate cake . Wonderful. The coffee was great.

It's worth checking out. Total price : $70.

I've never posted before but my husband and I Went to Bula in Newton NJ

tonight.

welcome aboard!

Bula sounds like an interesting place, and I'll put it on my list.

where else do you enjoy dining?

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

There's not a lot of fine dining in Sussex County but there are a few

bright spots. The Black Forest in Stanhopeis wonderful. Also, one of my favorites is Frank Alberta's in Fredon. Frank Alberta is the chef and his food is incredible. There are only about 12-15 tables. His braised short ribs fall

right off the bone and most dinners are served with a golden brown potato

that has been cut to fan out so that the butter on top has fallen into the

cracks and caramelized. Now that I think about it, I need to go there soon!

His braised short ribs fall

right off the bone and most dinners are served with a golden brown potato

that has been cut to fan out so that the butter on top has fallen into the

cracks and caramelized.  Now that I think about it, I need to go there soon!

OHHHHH, that sounds good.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

On NJ 94 about 1/3 of the way between Newton and I-80 at Delaware Water Gap.

Rosie - I see a road trip in the future, 12 tables, BYO, agreeable chef....

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

• 1 year later...

Party of four had dinner at Bula Friday evening. Reservation was for eight. The two narrow and long rooms were mostly filled with younger (college aged women) to middle and older aged couples. We fit somewhere in this group, I am not entirely sure where except it isn't young college girls. By 8:30 the few open tables had been filled.

Appetizers chosen were PEI mussels in a wine tomato broth, gorgonzola crisp, which were triangles of crisp topped with cheese, onion jam over a sald of baby spinach and calamata olives, and seafood risotto with rock shrimp and scallops. We also passed around a salad of baby greens with apple, candied walnuts and bleu cheese.

Consensus was the seafood risotto, a perfectly creamy rendition with fresh and tasty scallops surpassed the other appetizers. The mussels were extremely small, real difficult to remove from their shell and generally tastless. The wine/tomato broth was however a pleasant substitute for the soup course, with fresh tomatos, sweet onions and a touch of cream.

I should mention when seated, a basket of fresh, variety of breads are presented with a small container of hummus, creamy garlic butter and olive oil. Absolutely outstanding hummus and butter and bread. We asked for another round

Two of us had chicken & pork paprkash which came in a spectacular sauce along with tasty dumplings. This dish was recently placed back on the menu after an absence of four months. It was extemely tasteful.

Fresh seared sea scallops served with baby spinach, lardons with a lime-butter finish. The scallops were extemely fresh, and nicely sweet. A good dish

The other entree was a "bula baisse" of mussels, shrimp and scallops in a garlic broth, served with grilled bread. Once again the mussels were a non item, shrimp was o.k. and the scallops, excellent.

Dessert was a double espresso, regular coffee's, a slice of vanilla cheesecake and a lemon mousse. The lemon mousse was light, lemony and pleasingly palate cleansing. The cheesecake was served too cold and was just o.k.

The rooms did remind of cozy and relaxed eateries of the village in NYC.

The service was good. It is a BYO.

The one complaint which we voiced to our server was the jazz band. The volume was rediculously loud. We literally had to shout to be heard by our dining partners.

The band was young, probably late twenties and a friend who plays in a jazz band agreed, younger players do not necessarly get the volume thing.

In spite of the band, it was a good experience, good food in a relaxed upbeat environment.

I will definetly return.

thank you for this recommendation. we just moved here but i think we only live about 15 minutes from stanhope and 25 minutes from newton. before i found egullet, it was so hard to find a lot of info on restaurants in nj. we were just going with word of mouth or hit or miss (blindly trying out places).

what are the prices like at bula?

also, have you ever tried the place on 206 that is on the other side of the road from the black forest inn? it is italian but i can't remember the name. it is only a few minutes (north?) from the black forest inn. i have passed it many times but we have not tried it yet.

I'd also recommend Francesca's in Sparta and welcome to egullet nanyun

only if your in-laws are friends with the owner :biggrin: and you don't mind a) slow service and b) noise.

went there last week before we went on vaca and once again i wasn't seated until my husband was there. there appeared to be some sort of party/function that tied up most of the wait staff. i do not feel that 45 minuted to give an order and get your main course is good timing. we were hungry and did not order an appetizer or primi did get bread after about ten minutes of being seated and the drink order being taken. don' t know what function there may have been but there was a lot of upward noise from the lower level of the restaurant. it did make talking with johnnybird difficult - i felt i had to shout.

nanyun, welcome. what kind of cuisines and/ or food (i do love hot dogs and bbq) do you want to search for?

edited to take some of the StInG out - love you tom

Edited by suzilightning (log)

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Yeah yeah heard it all before suzi :raz::raz:

Cheers

Tom

:biggrin:

Edited to add: Was it a Thursday night suzi?? I warned you about Thursday nights at Francesca's. Damn Kiwanis :biggrin::biggrin:

Edited by StInGeR (log)

I want food and I want it now

Yeah yeah heard it all before suzi :raz::raz:

Cheers

Tom

:biggrin:

Edited to add: Was it a Thursday night suzi?? I warned you about Thursday nights at Francesca's. Damn Kiwanis :biggrin::biggrin:

it was a freaking TUESDAY tom, my sweet

i work a 1-9 shift thursday night - and i don't go anywhere near a kiwanis( i remember your warning)

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Thank you for all the recommendations.

I tried Bula a couple of days ago and had a nice time. I like that the menu is broad (i guess why they call it world cuisine) and is therefore is good for groups of people with dift taste buds/moods.

My husband and I went with another couple- we eat everything, our guy friend eats mostly only chicken, and our girl friend, constant dieter, eats almost nothing. So we could all order comfortably and were v. happy with the results.

We had the shrimp cakes, Kingston Scallops, Poulet Mignon.

They had salads and Tofu Stir Fry.

The shrimp cakes were just good, but scallops and especially poulet mignon were great. The sweet sausage, greens, and potato with tender chicken was a great combination.

Our friends said the Tofu Stir Fry was just OK but we had no sympathy as my expectations would not be that high if I had ordered that.

Overall, it was a good experience and I would go back. The people at the next table were having some sort of argument throughout our meal, but it had nothing to do with the restaurant. It was slightly distracting, slightly entertaining, I guess.

suzilightning- we love any type of cuisine and restaurant as long as the food is good.

• 4 weeks later...