• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What are the possibilities for adding a stencil design on top of a naked chocolate cake?

ChocolateCakey

What are the possibilities for adding an intricate stencil design on top of a naked chocolate cake (8 inch diameter) that can be shipped fine and taste/texture/usable fine? 

Looking for suggestions or insight as to what would be suitable enough, doesn’t have to be perfect, even if it’s not listed in my findings below:

My initial consideration was powdered sugar though I started to worry that since I’ll have to ship it that the powdered sugar design would move around too much and disappear; is that something to be concerned about? Upon reading, I’m discovering that powdered sugar designs don’t last long without melting into cake. Supposedly non-meltable powdered sugar is a solution(?) like Sucre Neige/Snow Sugar.

I additionally ran into Frosting Paper (Edible Paper) and lastly, Edible Spray. I see various reviews that say that edible paper and edible spray don’t taste good or to watch out for textural issues, I guess under the idea that edible doesn’t necessarily mean good taste or texture. 

I’m pretty overwhelmed since I don’t have concrete experience with these tools if there are problems with the taste or texture or usability. I was considering either using an x-acto knife to cut the edible paper into the design, or use the plastic stencil I’ve already cut out and white edible spray the design onto the top of the cake.

You can buy non-melting sugar from Albert Uster Imports (auiff.com)   Are you sending a cake to a friend or are you doing this as a business/side gig? (Because I have a bakery and I think of transporting cakes differently from the average person....)

how smooth is the surface of this cake, and how intricate is the stencil?  How are you shipping this (insulated with cooler packs?)

Are you sending a cake to a friend or are you doing this as a business/side gig?

The cake is relative’s kid.

how smooth is the surface of this cake

Haven’t made it yet. Might go with this recipe here, maybe that will help with context.

how intricate is the stencil

A simplified kid-version outline drawing of Spider-Man, cobwebs in the back, and the name of the recipient.

How are you shipping this (insulated with cooler packs?)

Insulated with cooler packs, or go without due to the weather being cold, if that’s also an alternative method.

send the stencil and powdered sugar separately for the user to add

They are not inclined to do much to assemble parts (re: sending the stencil), so it makes it a challenge to send something over so I’ve been hesitating about the option of sending the stencil because I don’t want the kid to be disappointed.

As an aside, I’ve cut out the stencil design on a transparency sheet, I’m assuming that’s not a big deal to use, correct me if that’s not a suitable material for a stencil.

If the transparency sheet is somewhat thick, you will be fine.  You want it to lay as flat as possible when you are putting the sugar (you could use cocoa, too) on so the powder doesn't get underneath and "smudge" (why I asked about the surface of the cake).

Another (more complicated, admittedly) option would be to use some melted chocolate and trace the spiderman/cobweb design on the transparency sheet and let it set up (tape it to a cardboard so it doesnt curl as it sets up).  Then when the cake is cooling you can flip it over onto the top of the cake and if the cake is a little bit warm, it will melt ever so slightly and flatten itself on/into the cake.  Or if you are a better artist than I am, you could just pipe a web freehand with melted chocolate.  are you sending the cake in the tin you are baking it in or putting it on a cake board? 

• Like 1

tape it to a cardboard so it doesnt curl as it sets up

What does “set up” mean, does it mean temper the chocolate and then let it completely cool on the transparency sheet?

I forgot to ask, does a powdered sugar design on a cake move around during transit, assuming the powdered sugar is non-melting?

are you sending the cake in the tin you are baking it in or putting it on a cake board? 

I have cake boards and thought to use plastic wrap, is there anything to know about how to pack this type of cake? For instance, will it benefit/harm this kind of cake to freeze it at any point of the process, would it be necessary to do certain things I haven’t accounted for.

Edited by ChocolateCakey (log)

When you pipe the chocolate (if you don't want to temper it, you could use coating chocolate or melting wafers meant to coat things.  People talk about almond bark but I have no clue what that is, I've never used it) as it sets up (firms up) it will begin to contract, and if the acetate/transparency sheet/parchment isn't taped down to the cardboard or other firm flat surface, it will begin to curl.

If you use non-melting sugar, it won't move during transit.  You might want to put a parchment round on top of it then wrap the cake in plastic wrap. (the sugar would cling to the plastic if  you don't use parchment).

there's no harm in freezing it, put the decoration on just before you pack it.  Meaning, don't freeze it with the decoration :)  You might want to consider putting the cake in a very close fitting box and then putting that into a larger box with packing materials to cushion it.  are you anywhere near Boston? I have boxes I could give you....

The chocolate mayonnaise cake will be great, it was a popular recipe in the 50s/60s and is moist and delicious!

Thank you for the help so far.

there's no harm in freezing it, put the decoration on just before you pack it.  Meaning, don't freeze it with the decoration

If chocolate is used instead of powdered sugar, does that mean that adding the decoration would entail putting the design on the cake by using a hair dryer or other heating element then letting it firm up?

are you anywhere near Boston? I have boxes I could give you....

I’m not close by at all. 🙃

The chocolate mayonnaise cake will be great, it was a popular recipe in the 50s/60s and is moist and delicious!

Good testimonial, I’ve never been big on chocolate cake because I’ve almost always found it too dry and figured to give the kids the good stuff since they like chocolate so much and did some research to learn about some of mayonnaise’s culinary uses.