• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

mgaretz

mgaretz

20 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Also, it doesn't work with screw caps or with the aggregate corks.  Only real cork.  It does, however, work really well on older wines - although REALLY old wines need a special super-thin needle to deal with a delicate cork.

They do make screw top adapters that work well. Uses a membrane that self heals, not unlike a vial used for injectables.  I haven’t had an issue with aggregate corks. What it doesn’t work with is artificial corks.  I had a corker left over from my winemaking days, so I use that to replace artificial corks with real corks. If you’re quick not enough air gets in to make a difference. I used to shoot some argon in after removing the artificial cork, but now I don’t bother. 

mgaretz

mgaretz

19 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Also, it doesn't work with screw caps or with the aggregate corks.  Only real cork.  It does, however, work really well on older wines - although REALLY old wines need a special super-thin needle to deal with a delicate cork.

They do make screw top adapters that work well. Uses a membrane that self heals, not unlike a vial used for injectables.  I haven’t had an issue with aggregate corks. What it doesn’t work with is artificial corks.  I had a corker left over from my winemaking days, so use that to replace artificial corks with real corks. If you’re quick not enough air gets in to make a difference. I used to shoot some argon in after removing the artificial cork, but now I don’t bother. 

mgaretz

mgaretz

15 minutes ago, KennethT said:

They do make screw top adapters that work well. Uses a membrane that self heals, not unlike a vial used for injectables.  What it doesn’t work with is artificial corks.  I had a corker left over from my winemaking days, so use that to replace artificial corks with real corks. If you’re quick not enough air gets in to make a difference. I used to shoot some argon in after removing the artificial cork, but now I don’t bother.