• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

8 minutes ago, Anna N said:

According to Monsieur Pépin that technique is to cause the omelet to fold over on itself, as he explains above. He also uses it to encourage the omelet to move toward the outer edge of the pan so it can be neatly transferred to the plate. I don’t think it has anything to do with anything sticking.  

Just saying, I've made thousands of omelets that look just as good as his and never used a fork nor did I ever have to tap the pan to get them to release. It can all be done with just a flip of the wrist.

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

6 minutes ago, Anna N said:

According to Monsieur Pépin that technique is to cause the omelet to fold over on itself, as he explains above. He also uses it to encourage the omelet to move toward the outer edge of the pan so it can be neatly transferred to the plate. I don’t think it has anything to do with anything sticking.  

Just saying, I've made thousands of omelets that look just as good as his and never used a fork nor did I ever have to tap the pan to get them to release.