• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Diana Kennedy, Rest in Peace

Oh no! Such a vibrant, passionate, opinionated with good reason, woman.  Going out to garage to bring Oaxaca al Gusto to a place in my bedside reading table.  Her impact is enormous.  

• Like 4

I noticed the documentary about her, Nothing Fancy is free to rent or $5.99 on Amazon Prime Video.  It's possible I have some credits affecting that price but they're not showing up on any Kindle books so I dunno.  

Worth taking a look see if you have Amazon Prime. 

Nothing Fancy is delightful; feisty Diana (age 96 during filming) is seen driving the back roads of Mexico in a beat up standard shift pickup!

I had the pleasure of meeting her at a book signing here in our village when Oaxaca con Gusto was released.  

diana kennedy1.jpg

• Like 5

Nothing Fancy is available on Kanopy if your local library gives you access, at no cost.  I watched it on Sunday in her honor, and it was a wonderful view into her life.  Even my mother--not remotely a foodie--found it riveting.  Glad we had her as long as we did, and glad too that the newest addition to my shelf of Latin American cookbooks is by chefs of Mexican heritage.  It feels right that more of these voices are being heard thanks to her pioneering work.

• Like 3