• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The New France

helenas

I haven't bought The New France yet, but I'm going to - got a pile of book tokens from Christmas still burning a hole in my pocket. But I can say that Andrew Jefford - sadly recently given the push by the Evening Standard - is one of Britain's best wine writers. He has the happy knack of being neither focused only on top-line wines that few of us can afford on a regular basis, nor solely interested in recommending branded pap sold en masse in the supermarket. And being an entertaining writer.

Adam

I purchased this book and dragged it around France on a journey to what some might call "backwoods" locations. I am happy to say Jeffords does an excellent job in getting to the heart of the matter in covering current challenges facing various vintners. His profiles of many are spot on and his work is top drawer.

I highly recoomend this book as a wonderful contemporary snap-shot of current winemaking and viticulture in France.

In an era when so few journalists do their homework or are more fixated upon evaluating wines with numerical scores, this is a breath of fresh air.