• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2001 white bordeaux

delights

As the bordeaux rouge 2001 are quite correct,the year 2001 in white is absolutely lovely.

I've tasted a few wines in white bordeaux (and graves de

vayres) and I've been startled by the high potential of quality.

The wines are generally made of wine-plants muscadelle

and semillon.

Or these 2 wine-plants gave their best for the 2001 and these wines will last without problems a few years.

Consequently,if you can,keep these wines in a good cellar and forget it.

Philippe raynaud

Les d�lices du Net

Les D�lices de Daubenton-Paris

Interesting. Dry White Bordeaux is desparately unfashionable in the UK and its hard to find good examples through casual browsing.

A possible reason is that the market is obsessed with single varietal wines and there is a perception that these are somehow superior in quality merely because they ARE single varietal. Also, possibly, Bordeaux is so well known for red wine that people believe that the white must of neccessity be of inferior quality.

A few years ago I drank my way through a case of white Chateau La Louviere (can't recall the year) and enjoyed it as much as any white wine I have drunk since. I'll certainly keep a look out for 2001s since if they're that good there could well be bargains to be had.

Have enjoyed Chateau Carbonnieux in the past, especially with a few years of age. However, part of the reason for them not being popular is their expense and the lack of constistency, compared to some of the new world Semillion/Sav. Blanc blends (can't think of any New world muscadelle based wines, except Australian fortified versions).

How nice to read this. I am not confident in my opinion of wines due to lack of knowledge but recently had a couple of bottles of 2001 Bordeaux white from Berry Brothers which I thought some of the most delicious whites I had ever tasted. I thought I must be hallucinating at the time - previous dry white Bordeaux I have drunk has been awful stuff. I don't remember the exact wines, but they are available on bbr.com, relatively inexpensive and worth every penny.

v