• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

5 hours ago, Yoda said:

Thank you ElsieD and pastrygirl for the welcome :)

I wanted to say I've noticed the chocolate either doesn't seem to set even after 5 min (test on spoon or parchment) or it starts solidifying really fast. Maybe my temperatures are just off? (I did have to go by feel since my thermometer started going crazy that day) I'm getting a new thermometer soon, so can't wait to try it again then :)

What happens if you don't remove them? Do wrong crystals start forming? I probably should remove them before warming the chocolate back up to working temp, right?

They are fat soluble natural colors, I just wasn't sure how it would work since everyone colors cocoa butter instead of white chocolate :) I haven't tried it yet

The trick is finding the sweet spot in between 'doesn't set' and 'sets really fast'.  It should set pretty quickly, and you do need to work quickly.  It takes practice.

If you don't remove the excess seed it continues to be seed and leads to over-crystallization.  Plus it gets in the way.  You might be able to work around chunks if you're dipping, but you really don't want chunks when molding. 

It will take much more color to tint white chocolate since it is already opaque white from the milk and sugar.  You can do it, but I don't think you'll get bright colors.

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

5 hours ago, Yoda said:

Thank you ElsieD and pastrygirl for the welcome :)

I wanted to say I've noticed the chocolate either doesn't seem to set even after 5 min (test on spoon or parchment) or it starts solidifying really fast. Maybe my temperatures are just off? (I did have to go by feel since my thermometer started going crazy that day) I'm getting a new thermometer soon, so can't wait to try it again then :)

What happens if you don't remove them? Do wrong crystals start forming? I probably should remove them before warming the chocolate back up to working temp, right?

They are fat soluble natural colors, I just wasn't sure how it would work since everyone colors cocoa butter instead of white chocolate :) I haven't tried it yet

The trick is finding the sweet spot in between 'doesn't set' and 'sets really fast'.  It should set pretty quickly, and you do need to work quickly.

If you don't remove the excess seed it continues to be seed and leads to over-crystallization.  Plus it gets in the way.  You might be able to work around chunks if you're dipping, but you really don't want chunks when molding.