• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

23 minutes ago, lindag said:

Yesterday my friend and I had lunch at my very favorite restaurant, a Thai place with authentic Thai foods.  There is no other such place anywhere around.

I had the shrimp pad tjai and she had the drunken noodles.

We were wondering why they are called 'drunken' noodles.

Anyway, she loved the dish and vowed that I'd order it on the next trip there.

I was told they got that name, pad kee mao,  because they were frequently served from street carts, late at night, to patrons who'd been out on the town and needed some food in their bellies.  So it's more the patrons who were drunk, rather than the noodles!

Edited to add:  Scroll down on this page for a good description from Leela Punyaratabandhu and a recipe from her book in case you want to make them yourself. 

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

16 minutes ago, lindag said:

Yesterday my friend and I had lunch at my very favorite restaurant, a Thai place with authentic Thai foods.  There is no other such place anywhere around.

I had the shrimp pad tjai and she had the drunken noodles.

We were wondering why they are called 'drunken' noodles.

Anyway, she loved the dish and vowed that I'd order it on the next trip there.

I was told they got that name, pad kee mao,  because they were frequently served from street carts, late at night, to patrons who'd been out on the town and needed some food in their bellies.  So it's more the patrons who were drunk, rather than the noodles!