• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Candied Garlic

Tropicalsenior

I live in a garlic deprived household because one of my housemates is deathly allergic to all garlic and onions. Sometimes I just want some garlic to munch on and raw garlic is just too much. So I set out to make a garlic snack and this is what I came up with.

It is sweet with a little bit of sour, soft without being mushy and very, very garlicky. I can see the remaining syrup as a dip for potstickers or a great inclusion in a stir fry sauce.

Candied Garlic

20210726_125724.thumb.jpg.1391789183e80339b29ccb5d4296a826.jpg

2 heads of garlic, peeled

1 cup water

1/2 cup sugar

2 tablespoons dark soy sauce

1 tablespoon Chinese black rice vinegar

15 G ginger, sliced thinly

1 star anise

Peel the garlic and place in the freezer overnight. Remove the next day and thaw completely.

Combine the ingredients for the syrup in a small saucepan and bring to a boil stirring until the sugar dissolves. Reduce the Heat and simmer very slowly for 30 minutes. Add the thawed garlic and continue to simmer for 15 minutes. Let the garlic cool in the syrup and it is ready to eat.

Note: I suppose that this could be made with regular rice vinegar but the black vinegar gives it in rich, smoky flavor. I suppose that if I just had the rice vinegar that I would add a drop of smoke flavoring.

This is the vinegar that I used.

• Like 4