• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help please! Looking for a Chinese pickle jar in northern New Jersey

Tropicalsenior

In another thread, one of our members @scott123 said that he is looking for a Chinese pickle jar. Similar to this:

chinese-pickle-jar-open.jpg.3b42d185bca666a7697e70099c9b87f9.jpg

Or this:

41fPVoNz1dL._AC_SY580_.jpg.4101af091aad47ab89a1a101e32a4f9e.jpg

Since we have a lot of members in the New Jersey, New York, Philadelphia area, I thought someone might be able to help him out.

My little Chinese restaurant supply has a whole range of different types and sizes but unless he is planning to take a vacation to Costa Rica soon, that doesn't help a bit.

• Like 1

https://www.wokshop.com/newstore/product/unique-pickling-jar/

Though they are nowhere even close to what you might be looking for, I've heard that both Korean and Japanese people make pickles too.  Perhaps H Mart or Mitsuwa might be of help.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I just did the arithmetic and if he orders 1000 from Alla Baba, keeps 2, and sells the rest on at $48, $1 less than the other guy, before shipping and handling he would clear $45,429.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

In another thread, one of our members @scott123 said that he is looking for a Chinese pickle jar. Similar to this:

chinese-pickle-jar-open.jpg.3b42d185bca666a7697e70099c9b87f9.jpg

Or this:

41fPVoNz1dL._AC_SY580_.jpg.4101af091aad47ab89a1a101e32a4f9e.jpg

Since we have a lot of members in the New Jersey, New York, Philadelphia area, I thought someone might be able to help him out.

My little Chinese restaurant supply has a whole range of different types and sizes but unless he is planning to take a vacation to Costa Rica soon, that doesn't help a bit.

Albeit Princeton is considered central Jersey:

Chinese, Western Han dynasty (206 B.C.–A.D. 9), Storage jar, 1st century B.C. Earthenware with painted decoration, h. with lid 55.0 cm, diam. 37.2 cm. Museum purchase, Fowler McCormick, Class of 1921, Fund (y1986-111 a–b)

Forgive me, I cannot make the link work, but it looks like a nice pickle jar.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

21 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Now, here's a pickle jar for you. Outside a local restaurant.

794645279_jar1024.thumb.jpg.bcc5f5deed57086ac36e1a5df333882a.jpg

Just over 4ft tall.

Wow. I remember seeing those as transport/storage jars for thousand year eggs and other dry ferments a zillion years ago. Sadly, they were replaced by styrofoam and plastic packaing. 

They were much more attractive than what we have today.

While at another topic about Chinese pickles and preserves, liuzhou just made me aware of this discussion.  The thing about Chinese jars is that that funny looking top is to put water in to form a kind of fermentation lock.  With the water and lid in place, the contents are protected from contact with outside air while letting gasses escape by bubbling out through the water.  I recently made one for my own use. Making a one-off  one on the potters wheel would take a few weeks, at least to complete.  That accounts for the price, I imagine, plus postage.  May I suggest a more practical way?  They make fermentation locks for wide mouth Mason jars for making kraut and other fermented vegetables. Do a search for fermentation locks.  The ones I have used are from Nourished Essentials.

20210708_065031.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

You won't have any problems finding Chinese pickle jars over the bridge in Manhattan Chinatown.  You will find housewares and ceramics stores by walking anywhere, but there is one in particular on the south side of East Broadway between the Manhattan Bridge (Market St.) and Allen St. There is another place on the east side of Bowery just north of Canal St., and several on west side of Bowery between Grand St. and Doyers St.