• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beef Vermicelli Cake 

Tropicalsenior

My family loves lasagna but I get tired of making it and sometimes I just don't have any lasagna noodles in the pantry. I make a killer pastitsio and I tried spaghetti pie. But to be truthful, we'd rather just have the spaghetti. So when I came across this recipe the other day, I thought it would be worth trying and it was good. Good enough to share.

Beef Vermicelli Cake 

serves: 4 to 6

yPK_UcPatEO08JiKFGB6RAgcNZAiqVyLKK_Oy9G1PlArv5jjlHhrXSv_Bzxw8gEb7kPtA5idy4phwKqNOO7sucMX2gLTssm8D6gptvTZBNIKKsk4U_ADjoEHkKfdV1TLoUJGE3IN

3 1/4 oz salted butter

1 onion, chopped

1 lb 2 oz ground beef

28 fl oz bottled pasta sauce

2 tablespoons tomato paste

9 oz vermicelli

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

1 1/4 cups milk

1 1/4 cups grated cheddar cheese

Preheat the oven to 350°. Lightly grease a 9 inch round deep spring-form cake pan. Melt a tablespoon of the butter in a large deep frying pan and cook the onion over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes, or until soft. Add the beef, breaking up any lumps with the back of a spoon, and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until browned. Stir in the pasta sauce and tomato paste, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. Season well.

Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of rapidly boiling salted water until al dente. Drain well. Meanwhile, melt the remaining butter in a saucepan over low heat. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute, or until pale and foaming. Remove from the heat and gradually stir in the milk. Return to the heat and stir constantly until the sauce boils and thickens. Reduce the heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Spread half the pasta over the base of the pan , then cover with half the meat sauce. Cover with the remaining pasta, pressing down with the palm of your hand. Spoon on the remaining meat sauce and then pour on the white sauce. Sprinkle the cheese on the top and cook for 20 minutes. Leave to stand for 15 minutes before removing from the pan. Cut into wedges to serve.

Quick Pasta Sauce (double the recipe)

8 oz ground beef

1/2 small onion, diced

1 garlic clove, minced

14 oz canned diced tomatoes      

1/2 teaspoon ground oregano

1/2 teaspoon dried basil

1 1/2 tablespoons dry vermouth or red wine 

Salt and pepper to taste  

Combine ground beef, onion, and garlic in a skillet and saute until no longer pink. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer on low heat until most of the moisture has evaporated. At this point, season with salt and pepper to taste.  

Since my family loves cheddar cheese I made it just as is and it was a big hit, however I think that I will try it the next time with mozzarella and Parmesan.

If you don't have a springform pan, I don't see any reason at all that this can't be made in a casserole dish and served like lasagna.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 2