• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

2 hours ago, scott123 said:

I could be wrong, but I don't think restaurants are pickling

Well, they certainly are here in China. Most larger retaurants catering for weddings, banquets etc make their own paocai. What happens elsewhere, I don't know.

This plate of pickles was served at just such a restaurant here 10 years ago, as documented in this post.

One of my regular haunts only has five tables and also makes all its own pickles. My neighbours make their own pickles.

IMG_3998 (Large).JPG

liuzhou

liuzhou

2 hours ago, scott123 said:

I could be wrong, but I don't think restaurants are pickling

Well, they certainly are here in China. Most larger retaurants catering for weddings, banquets etc make their own paocai. What happens elsewhere, I don't know.

This plate of pickles was served at just such a restaurant here 10 years ago, as documented in this post.

IMG_3998 (Large).JPG