• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Kerala

Kerala

Clarity.

On 12/18/2020 at 7:26 PM, Raw/Cooked said:

The English version is https://villagecookingkerala.com/

This site is new to me. Beautiful videos. I've only watched the chicken fry and egg curry articles so far, but they are so strong in their sense of place, custom and character. Her technique of making pastes such as ginger/garlic on the stone slab with a stone roller makes me nostalgic. No one I know in Britain uses it anymore because 1)food processors are easier and 2)who wants to carry that in their luggage across international airports? Her in-hand chopping technique is simply fantastic, not to mention the knife she uses, but I don't think I'll be adopting these anytime soon. I also like the way she washes everything, another little detail that gets lost in the transition to a kitchen where most of the food is European.  The cockerel in the background perfectly sets the soundscape. 

Kerala

Kerala

On 12/18/2020 at 7:26 PM, Raw/Cooked said:

The English version is https://villagecookingkerala.com/

This site is new to me. Beautiful videos. I've only watched the chicken fry and egg curry articles so far, but they are so strong in their sense of place, custom and character. Her technique of making pastes such as ginger/garlic on the stone slab with a stone roller makes me nostalgic. No one I know in Britain uses it anymore because 1)food processors are easier and 2)who wants to carry that in their luggage across international airports? Her in-hand chopping technique is simply fantastic, not to mention the knife she uses, but I don't think I'll be adopting these anytime soon. I also like the way she washes everything, another little detail that gets lost in the transition to a kitchen where most of the food is European.  The cockerel just sets the soundscape, too.