• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thailand Restaurant

=Mark

Has anyone been to "Thailand Restaurant" in Clark? I've heard good things about the place and was hoping for input...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

We've eaten at Thailand Restaurant several times. Ken thinks it's located on Central Avenue, near the Westfield border. (If you're coming from the Parkway and go over the railroad tracks, you've gone too far.)

t's a converted small diner, so seating is limited - only about 4 or 5 tables (one can seat 8, but the others can't accommodate more than four) and about 8 or 9 booths. It can feel pretty cramped, though we've managed to go before it gets stuffed.

Wide selection of dishes - beef, chicken, seafood, veggie, rice, curries, etc. The staff looks at you funny if you ask for even "medium spicy," so Mark should have fun if he asks for "real" spicy. :smile: But we think medium is potent enough, especially for the folks with whom we usually dine.

Definitely worth the trip! (Although we have yet to try Mie Thai, so someone who's been there will have to tell us.)

Well, Rich and I went to Thailand last night, and concur with what's been said here. Was not quite as small as was stated, but it did fill up pretty quickly. They did warn us when we ordered the food very hot, but even then the food was at best medium hot (Of course it took several visits to Mie Thai before they were convinced we could handle it, they err on the side of mild rather than risk having food sent back).

The food was similar in preparation and selection to Mie Thai, with the notable exception of a total lack of any dishes using duck. Mie Thai has at least a half dozen duck preparations.

Tommy would approve of the Larb, and should avail himself to some take-out on his 2420th trip past... :laugh:

The only other comparison is that the portions were not as large as at Mie Thai, so nothing had to be packed to take home. We did get several comments from the staff at how well we had done at finishing all the dishes, given how "hot" they were. All in all, given that Mie Thai is closer to me, and easily accessible by train, I don't see us going back, but the food and service were first rate.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

• 5 months later...

Yes, it was a Chinese restaurant until '99 or 2000, with a $3.95 buffet. I used to go there for lunch when I had no one to eat with because they had the coziest one-seater stuck in by the front door. Thailand is a big improvement but I thought it was pretty standard. I think I'm ruined for life because my first Thai experience was in San Francisco...

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA