• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

removing ambiguity

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

They add to the cost, but if I want a really gelatinous chicken soup, in addition to the old hens, I'll also throw in a silky... those are some tough birds and make fantastic soup.

The only way I've ever seen silkies used here is for soup. There may be other uses, but I've never encountered or heard of any. You certainly woudn't want to roast one.

Apart from making good soup, the broth is considered to have medicinal benefits.

Old layers (老母鸡 / 老母雞, lǎo mǔ jī, literally "old mother chicken") are highly prized so not particularly cheap in relative terms. Chicken's feet and heads are in all my chicken broths.

liuzhou

liuzhou

52 minutes ago, KennethT said:

They add to the cost, but if I want a really gelatinous chicken soup, in addition to the old hens, I'll also throw in a silky... those are some tough birds and make fantastic soup.

I've only ever seen silkies used for soup here. There may be other uses, but I've never encountered or heard of any. You certainly woudn't want to roast one.

Apart from making good soup, the broth is considered to have medicinal benefits.

Old layers (老母鸡 / 老母雞, lǎo mǔ jī, literally "old mother chicken") are highly prized so not particularly cheap in relative terms. Chicken's feet and heads are in all my chicken broths.

liuzhou

liuzhou

35 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I've only ever seen silkies used for soup here. There may be other uses, but I've never encountered or heard of any. You certainly woudn't want to roast one.

Old layers (老母鸡 / 老母雞 literally "old mother chicken") are highly prized so not particularly cheap in relative terms. Chicken's feet and heads are in all my chicken broths.