• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

4 hours ago, Mjx said:

Has anyone mentioned 'bonbon' as a word that needs to go? Apart from being twee, it's applied to so many different things that it means nothing in particular.

I have no objection to it. It's been around since the 18th century and developed its figurative meaning in the 19th. If we were to ban all words which have changed meaning or have taken on figurative meanings there would be very little language left. Its meaning is nearly always clear from the context.

The origin of 'twee' is also the same. It is a childlike corruption of 'sweet'.

I would also bring back the now rare 'bonbonnière', a small fancy box to hold sweets.

liuzhou

liuzhou

4 hours ago, Mjx said:

Has anyone mentioned 'bonbon' as a word that needs to go? Apart from being twee, it's applied to so many different things that it means nothing in particular.

I have no objection to it. It's been around since the 18th century and developed its figurative meaning in the 19th. If we were to ban all words which have changed meaning or have taken on figurative meanings there would be very little language left. Its meaning is nearly always clear from the context.

I would also bring back the now rare 'bonbonnière', a small fancy box to hold sweets.

liuzhou

liuzhou

4 hours ago, Mjx said:

I have no objection to it. It's been around since the 18th century and developed its figurative meaning in the 19th. If we were to ban all words which have changed meaning or have taken on figurative meanings there  would be very little language left.

liuzhou

liuzhou

4 hours ago, Mjx said:

I have no objection to it. It's been around since the 18th century and developed its figurative meaning in the 19th. If we were to ban all words which have changed meaning or have taken on figurative meanings there  would be very little language left.