• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pasta bake with sour cream and spring onions

• 500g short hollow pasta - I use Gomiti (elbows) but you can use penne or any similar shape.
  • 200-250 g sour cream
  • 300-350 fromage blanc or another mildly tart "farmer 's cheese" such as tvorog or quark
  • 6 medium eggs (or 5 large ones)
  • 8-10 spring onions, thinly sliced
  • apx 6 tbsp chopped parsley
  • 2 garlic loves, minced
  • Optional: 2 tsp nutritional yeast (or a bit of MSG)
  • salt to taste (1.5 tsp)
  • 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper

Bread crumbs topping:

• apx 15-25g butter
  • 9 tbsp breadcrumbs (divided 7 + 2)
  • a large pinch of salt

• Mix everything but the pasta and bread crumbs topping in a large bowl.
  • Boil pasta in salted water slightly short of al-dante.
  • Briefly wash the pasta to stop further cooking and drain well.
  • Mix in with the batter.
  • Melt the butter and mix with 7 tbsp bread crumbs and a bit of salt.
  • Grease a baking pan or mold - I much prefer a silicone mold, but you can also use a springform pan.
  • Cover the bottom of the pan with the buttery breadcrumbs.
  • Top with the remaining 2 tbsp of breadcrumbs.
  • Gently pour the pasta mixture on top.
  • Bake at 190dC for apx 35 minutes, until set. You may need to cover the pan if it seems to be drying.
  • Cool for a few minutes before flipping over a sheet pan.
  • You may have loose breadcrumbs, put them back on top.
  • When ready to serve, put under a medium-strong broiler until crisp and browned.

pictured before broiling.

PXL_20201031_124618024.thumb.jpg.846842df1b8c27cf80017d3719d50361.jpgPXL_20201031_125851243.thumb.jpg.ef77e8c7156faf174bdf1a07f9e07044.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 2

~ Shai N.

• Similar Content

• By shain
      Apx 160 g dried chickpeas, soaked overnight (or one can)
      800g sunchokes, washed well and diced (2cm wide)
      400g carrots (3 large), peeled and diced (1cm wide)
      2 large onions, diced
      600g pumpkin, diced (3 cm wide)
      Apx 3 tbsp worth of fresh rosemary
      4 bay leaves
      4 tsp nutritional yeast or a little MSG
      1 tbsp butter
      2 tsp cumin seeds
      1.5 tsp coriander seeds
      2 tsp fenugreek seeds
      3 large garlic cloves, minced
      chili to taste
      Apx 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
      2 tsp paprika
      1 tsp turmeric
      salt to taste
      200g spinach
      2-3 tbsp lemon juice
      handful of chopped parsley
      black pepper

Cook the chickpeas until tender in salted water. Keep the cooking water.
      Microwave the carrot cubes on high heat for two minutes.
      Coat carrots and sunchokes in oil and roast at high heat until browned, but still retains some bite.
      -
      Meanwhile, fry onion until browned.
      Add pumpkin, rosemary, bay leaves, nutritional yeast, chickpea liquid and water to cover. Cook until pumpkin softens (I use a pressure cooker, in which this takes 5 minutes).
      Add chickpeas, sunchokes, carrots, water to cover and salt to taste.
      Cook until softens to your liking, but not too much.
      -
      Meanwhile, fry cumin and coriander in butter until aromatic.
      Add fenugreek, garlic, chili and thyme. Fry until aromatic.
      Grind with some salt, add turmeric and paprika.
      Add to soup.
      -
      Add spinach, parsley, lemon and pepper.
      Adjust to taste.

• By Keith Orr
      Sorta Secret Aardvark Sauce (Habenero Hot Sauce)
      I thought I'd submit my recipe which is a clone of a locally available sauce here in Portland OR called Secret Aardvark Sauce.
      Sorta Secret Aardvark Sauce
      1 – 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes or roasted tomatoes chopped - include the juice
      1 – 14.5 oz of rice wine vinegar. Use the now empty tomato can to measure
      1-1/2 cups of peeled and grated carrots (packed into the measuring cup)
      1 cup of finely diced white onion
      1/4 cup of yellow mustard
      1/3 cup of sugar
      2 teaspoons of Morton’s Kosher Salt
      1 teaspoon of black pepper
      13 small Habaneros – seeded and membranes removed. (This was 2 oz. of Habaneros before cutting off the tops and removing the seeds and membranes)
      2 teaspoons curry powder
      1 cup of water when cooking
      5 or 6 cloves of garlic - roasted if you've got it
      Put it all in the crockpot on high until everything is tender. About 3 hours  Note: I used the crockpot so I don't have to worry about scorching it while it cooks. 
      Whirl in food processor – Don’t puree until smooth – make it lightly/finely chunky.
      Makes 3 pints - To can process pint jars in a water bath canner for 15 minutes
      I've thought about making this with peaches or mangoes too, but haven't tried it yet.

Edited for clarity on 11/9/2020

Keywords: Hot and Spicy, Carribean, Condiment, Sauce, Easy, Food Processor
      ( RG2003 )
    • By Kasia
      EXQUISITE JERUSALEM ARTICHOKE SOUP

Jerusalem artichoke, also called sunchoke or earth apple, has been known in Poland since the first half of the XVIII century. It is a vegetable especially recommended for diabetics because it reduces the amount of blood glucose. Those who would like to lose weight should also reach for it. Jerusalem artichoke contains a lot of potassium so it reduces blood pressure, and inulin which reduces high cholesterol.

I have looked suspiciously at the packaging of Jerusalem artichoke a few times. Only the soup I ate in a Warsaw restaurant convinced me to buy it. I prepared my own version of cream of Jerusalem artichoke. I found the recipe at the Polish page zakochanewzupach. However, I used my own spices. I served this soup with mushroom crisps and parsley olive oil. It was really excellent.

Ingredients (for 4 people):
      500g of Jerusalem artichoke
      200g of potatoes
      1 big onion
      2 tablespoons of oil
      500ml of vegetable stock
      400ml of coconut milk
      2 mushrooms
      fistful of parsley
      2 tablespoons of olive oil
      salt and white pepper

Dice the onion and fry lightly in oil. Peel the Jerusalem artichokes and potatoes and cube them. Add the vegetables to the onion and fry for a while on a low heat. Don't brown them. Put everything into a pot, add the vegetable stock and boil until the vegetables are soft. Add the coconut milk, spice it up with the salt and white pepper and boil for a while. Blend the soup thoroughly. If it is too thick, add more vegetable stock. Cut the mushrooms into thin slices. Fry the slices in oil until they are gold and crunchy. Grind the parsley in a mortar with a pinch of salt. Add the olive oil while grinding constantly. Serve the hot soup with mushrooms crisps and parsley oil.

Enjoy your meal!

• By Kasia
      MILLET GROATS CHOCOLATE CREME WITH CRANBERRY MOUSSE

Today I would like to share with you the recipe for the best chocolate crème I have ever eaten. It is thick, smooth and very chocolaty in flavour and colour. Despite the chocolate, the dessert isn't too sweet. But if somebody thinks that it is, I recommend serving it with slightly sour fruit mousse. You can use cherries, currants or cranberries. You will make an unusually yummy arrangement and your dessert will look beautiful.

My children were delighted with this dessert. I told them about the fact it had been made with millet groats after they had eaten it, and ... they didn't believe me. Next time I will prepare the millet groats crème with a double portion of ingredients.

Ingredients (for 4 people)
      chocolate crème
      100g of millet groats
      200g of dark chocolate
      1 tablespoon of dark cocoa
      250ml of almond milk
      fruit mousse
      250g of fresh cranberries
      juice and peel of one orange
      half a teaspoon of grated ginger
      4 tablespoons of brown sugar

Boil the millet groats in salty water and drain them. Melt the chocolate in a bain-marie. Blend the millet groats, chocolate, cocoa and milk very thoroughly until you have very smooth crème. Pour the milk in gradually to make the right consistency of your desert. Prepare the fruit mousse. Put the washed cranberries, ginger, juice orange peel and sugar into a pot. Boil until the fruits are soft. Blend. Put the chocolate crème into some small bowls. Put the fruit mousse on top. Decorate with peppermint leaves. Serve at once or chilled.

Enjoy your meal!

• By Kasia
      ALMOND CUSCUS WITH CRANBERRIES AND PINEAPPLE

I hate getting up in the morning. My household knows that before 8 o'clock I'm unbearable, and because almost every day I wake up much earlier, I tend to be unbearable more frequently than I want. Every extra five minutes of sleep is priceless, so I appreciate a good breakfast that is not too complicated and is quick to prepare.

Recently, I have been preparing breakfast with groats and flakes. This time I chose cuscus. This product is a cross between pasta and groats, and it doesn't need long to prepare. It is enough to add hot water or milk and leave for a few minutes. I added some fresh pineapple, cranberries and banana. I spiced it up with some hot chili pepper .

Ingredients (for 2 people)
      125g of cuscus
      400ml of almond milk
      1 tablespoon of honey
      1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
      2 slices of fresh pineapple
      1 teaspoon of minced chili pepper
      150g of fresh cranberries
      2 tablespoons of brown sugar
      1 banana
      4 tablespoons of flaked almonds

Wash the cranberries and put them into a pot. Add two tablespoons of water and the brown sugar. Boil, stirring gently until the cranberries burst and the sauce has thickened. Boil the almond milk with the vanilla essence. Pour the milk onto the cuscus and leave for 5-7 minutes. Slice the banana and roast the almond flakes. Peel the pineapple and dice it. Mix the pineapple, chili pepper and honey. Add the pineapple to the cuscus and mix it in. Put the mixture into two bowls. Put the cranberries and banana on the top and sprinkle with the almond flakes.

Enjoy your meal!