• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal

1 hour ago, pastrygirl said:

I think it's a little easier since you're not relying on the heat of the cream to melt the chocolate and you eliminate the risk of having un-melted bits left in your ganache. 

Don't they also claim that breaking the ganache with too little liquid then bringing it back together with more has an effect?  Makes it denser or something? 

That's what I recall - you get a 'real' emulsion instead of a pseudo emulsion. Wonder if someone can find the video of the technique and explanation. To me it was too much fiddly work when I really had no trouble making emulsions with my chocolate at 30º C and liquid at 40º C method.  

Here is where we discussed it before. 

Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal

1 hour ago, pastrygirl said:

I think it's a little easier since you're not relying on the heat of the cream to melt the chocolate and you eliminate the risk of having un-melted bits left in your ganache. 

Don't they also claim that breaking the ganache with too little liquid then bringing it back together with more has an effect?  Makes it denser or something? 

That's what I recall - you get a 'real' emulsion instead of a pseudo emulsion. Wonder if someone can find the video of the technique and explanation. To me it was too much fiddly work when I really had no trouble making emulsions with my chocolate at 30º C and liquid at 40º C method.