• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Paul Bacino

Paul Bacino

1 hour ago, Yiannos said:

I don't know about the rest of the cooking competition world, but these things have been ubiquitous on Masterchef Australia for years. The only knowledge I have is from watching contestants use them, but they seem super versatile. It feels like I have seen EVERYTHING cooked on them, from small pieces of veggies to getting a nice char on huge bone-in steaks. Like you I am sort of interested in picking one up to use in the kitchen, they are relatively inexpensive as far as some of these toys go and seem like a fun way to mix it up. The only thing holding me back is the ventilation issue as @Eatmywords mentioned, charcoal is usually a big no-no indoors because of the carbon monoxide it can give off, and they can get extremely hot apparently. I have a nice range hood which I think would be fine, but would also love to hear from others with any experience.

I actually have a high efficient  side vent draw,  that will  probably remove most problems associated with cooking.  Then I can cook directly on my static cook top..Thanks for enlighten me on this issue

Paul Bacino

Paul Bacino

1 hour ago, Yiannos said:

I don't know about the rest of the cooking competition world, but these things have been ubiquitous on Masterchef Australia for years. The only knowledge I have is from watching contestants use them, but they seem super versatile. It feels like I have seen EVERYTHING cooked on them, from small pieces of veggies to getting a nice char on huge bone-in steaks. Like you I am sort of interested in picking one up to use in the kitchen, they are relatively inexpensive as far as some of these toys go and seem like a fun way to mix it up. The only thing holding me back is the ventilation issue as @Eatmywords mentioned, charcoal is usually a big no-no indoors because of the carbon monoxide it can give off, and they can get extremely hot apparently. I have a nice range hood which I think would be fine, but would also love to hear from others with any experience.

I actually have a high efficient  side vent draw,  that will  probably remove most problems associated with cooking.  Then I can cook directly on my static cook top