• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

12 hours ago, dtremit said:

For the clams, you may want to specify the size in terms of how many per pound (I think that's ~6-10 for littlenecks?) as that's a common way of specifying size for seafood here.

I did suggest 8-10 and said littlenecks are similar.

One other potential pitfall is soy sauce. Soy sauce is very easy to buy in American supermarkets, but the selection is heavily biased towards Japanese brands and varieties.

I don't think that matters too much. I have suggested that ingredients are best sourced in Chinese supermarkets (although Indian markets are good for bitter melon).

The term "mange tout" is not used in the US at all.

That's odd. The two American friends I consulted here both used it. One is from New York; the other California.

I have clarified the mustard green type and also noted that I mean fresh chiles. Thank you.

liuzhou

liuzhou

11 hours ago, dtremit said:

For the clams, you may want to specify the size in terms of how many per pound (I think that's ~6-10 for littlenecks?) as that's a common way of specifying size for seafood here.

I did suggest 8-10 and said littlenecks are similar.

One other potential pitfall is soy sauce. Soy sauce is very easy to buy in American supermarkets, but the selection is heavily biased towards Japanese brands and varieties.

I don't think that matters. Japanese soy sauce is just fine.

The term "mange tout" is not used in the US at all.

That's odd. The two American friends I consulted here both used it. One is from New York; the other California.

I have clarified the mustard green type and noted that I mean fresh chiles. Thank you.